PT8 Delay Comp and DmFL

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

JB3

PT8 Delay Comp and DmFL

Post by JB3 »

I just installed Drumagog Platinum (Demo) in a previous mix session. Per the manual, I instantiated DmFL. I instantly get a red delay compensation flag. The odd thing (and this is probably because I haven't run into this before) is that the channel showing the red delay is one on which there are no plugins instantiated...the drum aux bus. I assume this is due to internal mixer delays, but I'm not sure and thought I might ask.

I've posted a screenshot to show the situation.

If I use the non-fixed latency Dm, the delay compensation on the Kk track drops tremendously, I get no warnings, and I don't think I notice a significant difference in Kk placement (delay).

Thoughts...JB
Attachments
Note Kki.14 and  DrA.1
Note Kki.14 and DrA.1
drfl_and_delay_comp.jpg (232.68 KiB) Viewed 7946 times
Matt W
Expert

Re: PT8 Delay Comp and DmFL

Post by Matt W »

Well, the reason the compensation drops when not using the Fixed latency version is that all compensation for Drumagog has stopped when not using the Fixed Latency version. In other words if you want Pro Tools HD to compensate for Drumagog's latency then you must use the FL version. It sounds like you are over Pro Tools' compensation limit, and the only way around that is to start bouncing tracks with latency plugins. Also make sure the compensation engine is set to "Long" mode.
Matthew Werner
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
www.drumagog.com
JB3

Post by JB3 »

Thanks, Matt.

I do indeed have 'long' selected in PT.

To make sure I get this straight, when Drumagog is instantiated, there is no ADC delay reported to PT and thus the plugin runs uncompensated for in the track (as it would in PTLE).

Drumagog Fixed Latency (FL) must therefor be instantiated in order to gain the ADC function to work in PT 8 HD?

Is there a similar functionality differential in Logic Express vs Logic?

...J
iamlark

Post by iamlark »

I was running into an issue similar to this with PTHD8 and delay comp.

Try turning your hardware buffer down to 1024 samples or less. I found that higher buffers ate up the delay comp. I can't explain why but it fixed the issues I was having.
JB3

Post by JB3 »

Thanks, Matt, I will try that and report back, although if memory serves me well, I'm already running this session at 128, ha ha ha.

...J
stevenson84

Post by stevenson84 »

with my PT HD2 8(buffer size at 128, D.C. long) and the last version of drumagog fixed latency.
latency for me has never properly calculated It is also impossible to calculate because it changes in various points of the track.
It can be seen recording the track where is in isert drumagog F.L.
why?
JB3

Post by JB3 »

With Drumagog 4.03 FL (Fixed Latency) and above, the plugin should always show a single reported latency on the Analog (opening) view. That total latency should not change during record or play.

...JB