using drumagog live in a band

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

denoise

using drumagog live in a band

Post by denoise »

Hi,

I was wondering if I could use drumagog with a band live in a small gig with
other instruments (guitars, bass, vocals) sending replaced drums to the PA.
Can I use a basic mic setup on real drums and sending a stereo mix to a computer
interface to a pc running drumagog and successfully replacing drums ?

Thanks!
Matt W
Expert

Re: using drumagog live in a band

Post by Matt W »

Hello,

Drumagog is primarily designed work with separated drum tracks, meaning where you have different mics on each drum and buss them their own individual tracks. Otherwise Drumagog doesn't really know which drum is which. The best way to do this is to run the separate mics into a multichannel audio interface and bring them into their own tracks, and then put different Drumagog's on each part.
Matthew Werner
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
www.drumagog.com
zumbido
Expert

Re: using drumagog live in a band

Post by zumbido »

I don't play out in a live situation (I'm a bass plaer, not a drummer}... but I can successfully trigger Drumagog from an acoustic drum kit in real time, in my studio.

I use the DDrum Acoustic Pro triggers on kick, snare and three toms. The delay is MINIMAL and usable (for basic beats and grooves). I usually use BFD2 for sounds. I do like the stock Drumagog hihat, but will additionally use the ambiance mic channels from BFD2. When I use Drumagog for hihat it is triggered by mic'ing the 'real' hihat.

One of these days I might try the Alesis SURGE Cymbals to directly play/trigger Drumagog and/or BFD.

If you have a 'speedy' computer and a high end sound card, you theoretically should be able to use Drumagog live with an acoustic kit - at least to reinforce the real kit..