Drumagog MIDI output & BFD 2 (Cubase 4 & Logic 8)

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

qinsmith

Drumagog MIDI output & BFD 2 (Cubase 4 & Logic 8)

Post by qinsmith »

Hi there.

I'm running a Mac 8-core machine with Leopard and 3 Gigs of RAM.

I have the most recent versions of Drumagog and BFD 2.

I'm experiencing the following problems

using Logic 8:
When trying to replace several drum tracks (kick, snare, hihat i.e.) I have serious latency issues when I'm using drumagog in order with BFD 2. When I'm using drumagog on its own it's working flawlessly, very accurate, no flams, everything's fine.

When I tell drumagog to communicate with BFD the drums get triggered BEFORE the actual hit and it's the same with drumagogs MIDI output. My first guess was the ADC wasn't working correctly, so I turned it off - the tracks were now delayed as expected.

using Cubase 4:
Actually I haven't tried a lot with Cubase 4 since I mainly use Logic 8 in my studio. I just recognized it wasn't working properly either - out of time. I haven't figured out exactly what was going wrong.

To sum things up I would be highly thankful for any hint. I don't care for whether it is to get things running under Logic or Cubase, I just want to replace the tracks with the least amount of effort.

If you need any further details, just ask. :)

Greetings,
kevin
qinsmith

Post by qinsmith »

Hi there!

Been fiddling around with Cubase 4 and the Drumagog settings ... no delay, perfect sync with BFD2. Works wonders to tweak the settings. ;)

I have had no luck with Logic 8 though - which I would prefer, but if it doesn't work, it doesn't.

Keep on rocking,
kevin
Matt W
Expert

Post by Matt W »

There shouldn't be any performance issues with Logic, vs Cubase, as long as you follow the same order when setting up the parts.

Hits coming early from BFD is almost always caused by adding Drumagog and BFD incorrectly. If the timing is off the simplest way to fix this is to save your BFD settings (if you've customized them) as a preset, un-instatiate BFD and then re-instantiate it.

Also, check Logic's delay compensation settings, making sure you have it turned on for all tracks/busses (just to be safe) and that Low-Latency mode is off when you need to use Drumagog.
Matthew Werner
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
www.drumagog.com
qinsmith

Post by qinsmith »

I have enabled Logics ADC in the preferences and there is no way to specify it for a single channel. Maybe it has something to do with making the Bus-Sends low-latency safe, but I am currently not in the studio. Nevertheless I will investigate ...

What I can tell is that I have definitely inserted drumagog (first) and BFD 2 (last) in the right order since logic gets unusable if you do it in the wrong order.

I have as well removed all the instances of drumagog and BFD 2 and re-inserted them into my project with no luck.

What I recognized as well was that when I click on the little movie clip in the left bottom corner of drumagogs plugin window I can test the sound - but this only works in cubase, not in logic.
Matt W
Expert

Post by Matt W »

If I remember, Logic only has three options: No Compensation, Compensation only for tracks, Compensation for all. Then there is the Low-Latency mode switch, which needs to be off for Drumagog to correctly compensate.

The reason you cannot click on the movie to preview Drumagog is because Logic does not engage plugins (i.e. allow them to process audio) unless you are either:
1. Playing back your project
2. Actively monitoring the track Drumagog is on.

In other words, if you want to preview Drumagog without hitting Play, record-enable the track Drumagog is on and you should then be able to preview.
Matthew Werner
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
www.drumagog.com