> Timing Problems PT8

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

groovejungle

> Timing Problems PT8

Post by groovejungle »

Sorry if the question/problem/answer is simple. . . The problem at hand is as follows. Just installed PT8 and I am trying to get things productive for a mix project. DAG is latest version 4.11. I am experiencing timing problems. I mix with Delay Compensation (Long) and in that case I use the DAG fixed latency. . . however it is out of time and actually has so much latency it exceeds what ProTools can delay (Delay goes red) and track latency is shown as 5707.

If I am not mistaken, DAG Fixed with Delay Compensation on, is supposed to be the best way to use DAG with ProTools HD in the past (v7.4). Please advise what I am doing wrong or what the "New" best way to get usable timing.

Thanks!
[/img]
Matt W
Expert

Post by Matt W »

Hello,

Drumagog (Fixed Latency) is permanently set to approx 80ms of latency, which at 44.1 kHz works out to around 3500 samples (roughly). So, as long as Drumagog is the only plugin adding delay on the track in question, it should be under the limit for Long-mode compensation.

The usual thing to check is if there are any additional plugins adding delays that are adding to Drumagog's delay and putting you over. If you create a new project with one audio track and just Drumagog (Fixed Latency) inserted on that track, what is the reported latency?

Also, if you want to see exactly how many samples of delay Drumagog is adding, you can click on the latency display on the Main tab to toggle between ms and samples.
Matthew Werner
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
www.drumagog.com
Matt W
Expert

Post by Matt W »

One additional thing I found from a discussion on Digidesign's forum, about how Pro Tools' Playback Buffer setting will affect exactly how much compensation is available, and how to increase it:
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=239964
Matthew Werner
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
www.drumagog.com