Latency issue with drumagog and bfd 1.5

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

jamfusa

Latency issue with drumagog and bfd 1.5

Post by jamfusa »

Hi. Having latency issues with drumagog and bfd 1.5. I have the latest versions of both. Running windows xp sp3 (core 2 duo 3.16, 4 gigs ram), sonar 6.2.1. I followed the directions in the manual exactly. The delay is not random. Always the same timing. Can anyone help and is anyone else having this problem with sonar, drumagog and bfd 1.5? Thanks in advance.
Matt W
Expert

Post by Matt W »

What's the amount of delay you are experiencing? An exact, unchanging amount of delay sounds like SONAR's Delay Compensation is not running. Make sure compensation is turned on and that you are using the "Fixed Latency" version of Drumagog.
Matthew Werner
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
www.drumagog.com
jamfusa

Post by jamfusa »

I am using the fixed latency setting and sonar 6 does not have the capability of turning the delay compensation off.
Matt W
Expert

Post by Matt W »

You can disable delay compensation per plugin. Open the instance of Drumagog and click on the "VST" pull-down menu at the top of the plugin window. Choose "Plug-in Properties", and make sure "Enable Delay Compensation" is checked. This is how it appears in SONAR 7 and 8, so it may be different in 6 (I don't have a copy of 6). With SONAR 4 you need to open the Cakewalk Plug-in Manager", select Drumagog (Fixed Latency) and then select "Plug-in Properties" in order to get the Delay Compensation option.
Matthew Werner
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
www.drumagog.com
jamfusa

Post by jamfusa »

The delay comp is enabled in the VST plug-in options menu.
Matt W
Expert

Post by Matt W »

Double-check the versions you have installed, as the only setting in SONAR that controls delay compensation is the one in Plugin Properties. Everything else is rather automatic. The proper version of BFD is 1.5.46.10, and Drumagog should be 4.11.

If you are still experiencing a delay from BFD's output with those versions, and you only add BFD to the project after adding -all- the Drumagog instances (adding Drumagog, then BFD, then another Drumagog -will- break the connection and cause delays), then it's a much more elementary issue occurring, and I'd recommend reinstalling Drumagog.
Matthew Werner
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
www.drumagog.com
jamfusa

Post by jamfusa »

Yup. I have those versions and I am following the sequence of insertion. You're right. Everything is quite automatic. I reinstalled Drumagog and there is still a delay. Used it in a bare bones project and still a delay.
jamfusa

Post by jamfusa »

Problem solved. I was using the DXi version of BFD. Loaded the VSTi version and it worked great. Thanks for your help.
jamfusa

Post by jamfusa »

The VSTi version of BFD 1.5 is not so great. Why doesn't Drumagog work with the DXi version of BFD?
jamfusa

Post by jamfusa »

Spoke too soon! Now both versions of BFD are delayed. Worked 2 days now it doesn't. Opened a session and I had to reload Drumagog and BFD because they weren't working correctly. Then discovered that VSTi BFD now has a delay. I'll reload Drumagog again. The Drumagog, VSTi BFD combination causes Sonar to crash. Need it to work with the DXi version. :x
jamfusa

Post by jamfusa »

Reloading Drumagog did not help.
Matt W
Expert

Post by Matt W »

The reason Drumagog does not work with the DXi version of BFD1 is because the Direct-X plugin standard does not support how Drumagog and BFD transmit data back and forth, bypassing the host application. The two plugins are custom written for each other, and this is the only way, with current technology, that two separate plugins can transmit the very unique information that Drumagog and BFD transmit.

Something fundamental is incorrect on your setup when you experience any delay when triggering BFD 1.5 from Drumagog. Please check all of the following and let me know they are correct:

Version 4.11 of Drumagog is installed (open the "About Drumagog" window, found under the Advanced tab).

Version 1.5.46.10 of BFD is installed. Older versions were sometimes problematic, you absolutely need the final version of BFD 1.5

-Any- change to Drumagog instances in a project -will- cause BFD to lose timing and do what you describe. BFD must always be added last, after every instance of Drumagog. If a certain project experiences delay in BFD, remove BFD and re-add it, forcing it to re-establish communication with Drumagog.

Per above, only the VST version of BFD works with Drumagog. Likewise, only the native VST version of Drumagog works with BFD. If you have some kind of VST-DX wrapper installed, make sure you are not using a DX-wrapped version of Drumagog.
Matthew Werner
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
www.drumagog.com
Matt W
Expert

Post by Matt W »

Oh, and one other item. You need delay compensation turned on for BFD (check the same way I mentioned earlier, checking the VST properties window).
Matthew Werner
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
www.drumagog.com
jamfusa

Post by jamfusa »

Drumagog version 4.11a and BFD 1.5.46 B10 which is the final version. I do add BFD last. I'm only using one instance of Drumagog, then I add BFD. I did already check both plug's vst property page to make sure the adc is on and it always is. :cry:
Matt W
Expert

Post by Matt W »

Just to make sure, I setup BFD and Drumagog with the two versions of SONAR I have installed at my desk, SONAR 4 and 7, and didn't encounter any delay issues, so it isn't a global compatibility issue.

A couple of other questions:

How much of a delay do you experience, i.e. if you bounce the output of BFD playing this one track and compare to the original track, what's the delay amount in milliseconds?

Also, do either of the plugins have any delay when used separately, or only when used together?
Matthew Werner
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
www.drumagog.com