Drumagog MIDI output not working properly in Cubase 4

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

Scramble
Expert

Drumagog MIDI output not working properly in Cubase 4

Post by Scramble »

I've found that Drumagog's MIDI output is not working properly in Cubase 4 (I'm running Cubase 4.5.2 and Drumagog Platinum 4.11). The MIDI output is around 80ms behind where it should be. In a simple project it's exactly 80ms, but in a complex project it's a few milliseconds out from that again, so I can't just fix it by shifting the MIDI by 80ms every time.

It's as though the Auto Delay Compensation is not working properly, even though in Cubase it's supposed to be automatic. (But my ADC works fine for everything else).

I'm positive I've followed the manual exactly -- insert an instance of Drumagog (fixed latency version) as an insert, enable MIDI output on that Drumagog, choose "Internal port", and create a MIDI track which takes this Drumagog track as its input. If there's anything else I should be doing please let me know.

But I think it's a problem with Drumagog in the context of Cubase 4, because in Cubase 3 (which I still have installed) it works perfectly. Also, I remember a thread from a while back (http://www.drumagog.com/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ght=cubase) saying that there were problems with using Drumagog and BFD in Cubase 4 -- and I've also found that using BFD in Cubase 4 doesn't work properly either, latency-wise (and yes, I've followed the manual exactly and always load BFD last).
Teri
Site Admin

Post by Teri »

Hello,

We are aware of certain latency issues. As stated in the MIDI section of the manual:

"Due to the fact that MIDI output from a plug-in is not directly supported on most audio applications, Drumagog’s MIDI output is not as accurate as its audio mode. The timing of MIDI notes generated from Drumagog may be off by as much as a few milliseconds"

Even though Cubase and Nuendo seem to handle MIDI output from a plug-in better than most programs, it does occur in these applications. Nudging works best when latency is consistent, which should be the case when you are using Drumagog Fixed Latency/ADC in Cubase. If you are experiencing inconsistent latency throughout your track, you may have to manually go through these sections and adjust.

As far as BFD, this is a different issue, since BFD and Drumagog do not work together using MIDI. They are directly compatible, and the technology they use to communicate is different.

Following the directions is key. Other items for consideration:
-What version of BFD/BFD2 are you using? I suggest updating to the latest version (FXpansion is at BFD2 v2.0.5.10)
-Amount of RAM - more is always better
-BFD2 streaming engine - depending on the setting here, you could be loading an entire BFD2 kit into RAM (Load All to RAM). I suggest taking a look here to determine what settings are configured, perhaps there are some changes that could be made here to make your system more efficient.

We are consistently working with FXpansion to make Drumagog and BFD function at their best.
Teri Grossheim
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
Scramble
Expert

Post by Scramble »

>As stated in the MIDI section of the manual:
>"Due to the fact that MIDI output from a plug-in is not directly supported on most audio applications, Drumagog’s MIDI output is not as accurate as its audio mode. The timing of MIDI notes generated from Drumagog may be off by as much as a few milliseconds"

No, this isn't it. It's not a few milliseconds, it's 80, which is whopping. It can't be any coincidence that this is the amount of latency that Drumagog is reporting to Cubase. Something is going wrong with the handling of latency. And as I said, it all works fine in Cubase 3.

>Following the directions is key.

Like I said, I followed the instructions exactly, and they work in Cubase 3, but not in Cubase 4 (and I've tried several different projects, including some simple test projects).

>What version of BFD/BFD2 are you using? I suggest updating to the latest version (FXpansion is at BFD2 v2.0.5.10)

I have the latest version of BFD 1.5.

>Amount of RAM - more is always better

Tons of RAM, 4GB, that's not an issue.

>BFD2 streaming engine - depending on the setting here, you could be loading an entire BFD2 kit into RAM (Load All to RAM).

I can try that, but I don't think it will make any difference. The streaming from disk works fine, there's no pressure on my system at all (It's powerful). There's something going wrong with the handling of Drumagog's latency in Cubase 4, at least with my setup (although it sounds like others have had Cubase 4 latency issues).
Teri
Site Admin

Post by Teri »

Scramble wrote:>As stated in the MIDI section of the manual:
>"Due to the fact that MIDI output from a plug-in is not directly supported on most audio applications, Drumagog’s MIDI output is not as accurate as its audio mode. The timing of MIDI notes generated from Drumagog may be off by as much as a few milliseconds"

No, this isn't it. It's not a few milliseconds, it's 80, which is whopping. It can't be any coincidence that this is the amount of latency that Drumagog is reporting to Cubase. Something is going wrong with the handling of latency. And as I said, it all works fine in Cubase 3.
Yes, we are aware of certain latency issues, such as this one between Cubase 3 and Cubase 4 using Internal Port. We have experienced on our side as well. We will continue to look into this and are hopeful that we will find a solution.
Scramble wrote:>Following the directions is key.

Like I said, I followed the instructions exactly, and they work in Cubase 3, but not in Cubase 4 (and I've tried several different projects, including some simple test projects).
In this statement I was referring to BFD/BFD2 usage. What I was trying to get at here was that following the Drumagog/BFD directions is important. I understand that you are following the Drumagog MIDI output directions correctly. Even if you follow the MIDI output directions, you may experience latency when using Drumagog's MIDI Output with Cubase 4.
Scramble wrote:>What version of BFD/BFD2 are you using? I suggest updating to the latest version (FXpansion is at BFD2 v2.0.5.10)

I have the latest version of BFD 1.5.

>Amount of RAM - more is always better

Tons of RAM, 4GB, that's not an issue.

>BFD2 streaming engine - depending on the setting here, you could be loading an entire BFD2 kit into RAM (Load All to RAM).

I can try that, but I don't think it will make any difference. The streaming from disk works fine, there's no pressure on my system at all (It's powerful). There's something going wrong with the handling of Drumagog's latency in Cubase 4, at least with my setup (although it sounds like others have had Cubase 4 latency issues).
Since you're using BFD v1.5, the streaming engine isn't as much of a factor in this situation.

The Drumagog MIDI Output issue is different from the Drumagog/BFD functionality. The Drumagog MIDI Output issue is a "bug".

Since you're using Drumagog Platinum and BFD, I assume that you are configuring the two directly (as in the directions outlined below), and not using Drumagog's MIDI output.

What version of BFD 1.5 do you have? The latest BFD v1.5 is 1.5.046 build 10.

Drumagog Platinum v4.11 and BFD v1.5.046 b10 (and build eight) work fine together as long as these directions are followed step by step:

1. Insert Drumagog Platinum onto your drum tracks.
2. Insert BFD onto an audio track (or instrument track).
3. Open BFD and load a drum kit.
4. In BFD, make sure “Drumagog Mode” is checked. This is located in the options pane (this box is only applicable for BFD v1.5. There is not a Drumagog Mode box in BFD2)
5. Open Drumagog, and choose <BFD> from the folder selection box.
6. Choose a BFD kit piece from the Drumagog sample selection box.
7. Press play on your transport. Drumagog should trigger on your drum track, and you should hear audio coming from the BFD track.

Drumagog must always be inserted first, before inserting BFD. If you need to add or remove Drumagogs from your project, make sure to remove BFD, then insert it again after you’re finished.

If you continue experiencing latency with Drumagog Platinum v4.11 and BFD v1.5, let us know.
Teri Grossheim
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
Scramble
Expert

Post by Scramble »

>Yes, we are aware of certain latency issues, such as this one between Cubase 3 and Cubase 4 using Internal Port. We have experienced on our side as well. We will continue to look into this and are hopeful that we will find a solution.

Okay, thanks.

>Since you're using Drumagog Platinum and BFD, I assume that you are configuring the two directly (as in the directions outlined below), and not using Drumagog's MIDI output.

Yes, that's right.

>What version of BFD 1.5 do you have? The latest BFD v1.5 is 1.5.046 build 10.

That's what I have.

>Drumagog Platinum v4.11 and BFD v1.5.046 b10 (and build eight) work fine together as long as these directions are followed step by step:

Okay, I'll try the BFD-Drumagog combo again. I thoroughly tested the MIDI problem to make sure it was really there, but I haven't tested using BFD thoroughly yet.
metl4evr

Post by metl4evr »

Hi there...

I'm experiencing these EXACT same issues. It's quite a pain in the %@#. Has this been resolved yet to anyone's knowledge? Any workarounds? (other than nudging every time) ? I also didn't experience ANY trouble in Cubase 3, and im wondering if these issues are carried over into Cubase 5??

That'd almost be worth upgrading for, even though im sure Cubase 5 is LOADED with technical issues this early on.

Thanks!