using multiple samples

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

georgegll

using multiple samples

Post by georgegll »

ive yet to try this cause im not able to record drums at the moment but for example when recording a drummer, the snare hits can sometimes be a little too weak. what i was wondering is this. if i sample the snare drum at different velocities. like the hardest hit, then softer, then softer until your down to the drag on the snare for rolls. up to like 7-10 samples if needed. i guess using the positional ranges to trigger which sample should activate at which dynamic level, this process should work. only problem is that when you need the majority of the hits to be the hard ones, you would need to boost the gain on the waveform to make sure those hits trigger the hard sample. this could probably take a while.
then i was thinking about using the original snare track, cloning it. using one for just one hard sample same velocity, then the other for things like rolls where dynamics are needed. problem with that is that you would need 2 tracks with drumagog on both.

ive heard about using hard compression on the track to trigger just the hardest hits and leaving the softer ones alone triggering at 50/50 rather than 100%. but i dont know i just like that clean no bleed sound from a sample but still like the dynamic realistic feel as well.

so what do you guys do for this kind of scenario?
Matt W
Expert

Post by Matt W »

There are a few ways to adjust the strength of the snare sounds. First, you could obviously use a different snare gog file, but this of course would change the sound of the snare.

If you want to keep the sound of the snare, here are a couple of things to try:

Manually adjust the dynamic group levels so that the "loud" samples are played more often, i.e. put the "loud" samples in Dynamic Group 1 (think of this is the "Load" group), and set Dynamic Group 1 to trigger down to -20 dB (actual values will depend on the song, record levels, etc), and then put the remaining softer samples in one or more additional groups, well down in dynamic threshold, so they're only triggered by very quiet hits.

Another option would be to just use a gog file made up of a hard hit snare, maybe increase the output volume, but only mix in like 30-40 %, so that the original snare sound is more being "reinforced" than replaced, and won't sound like the same snare over and over. If you set the threshold above the softer rolls of the original track, it will let those through unchanged.

I hope that's what you were asking, if not I'm sure there are some other possibilities to get what you're looking for.
Matthew Werner
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
www.drumagog.com
georgegll

Post by georgegll »

yeah that actually answered everything perfectly. thanks.