Drumagog & Reaper 2.46

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

zzfdvz

Drumagog & Reaper 2.46

Post by zzfdvz »

So I just got Reaper and I love it. In doing some testing, I loaded 5 instances of drumagog (Kick, Snare, & 3 Toms). When I got to the 5th instance I got an out of memory error. I'm not sure if this was from drumagog or reaper, but in checking with the system resources, I was barely touching the CPU and looked like I had 1.5 gigs of RAM open for the application. Also, when I got the error, I tired switching gogs, and some worked and some did not (by not working I mean giving me another out of memory error). When fuddling with this, it eventually turned into a system crash which was quite a bummer since I didn't save. My system is pretty optimzed for being a DAW and the specs are as such

Q6600 Quard Core
4 Gigs of RAM
Gog files saved on my system drive (7200, 500 gig seagate, 16mb buffer)
Nvidia 8500 video
MSI mobo w/ G31 chipset
2 Firepods

Thanks!
Teri
Site Admin

Post by Teri »

Drumagog uses different amounts of memory depending on what samples you have loaded. Usually it's 20-50MB per Drumagog instance. Typically 5-6 instances is a lot for a computer with 1.5GB of RAM. We suggest a minimum of 1 GB of RAM to use Drumagog. Drumagog depends on RAM more than the CPU, which explains what you described above.

When this occurs, you can upgrade the RAM on your machine or simply bounce/render/print some tracks to conserve computer resources.
Teri Grossheim
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
zzfdvz

Post by zzfdvz »

I'm sorry, I think you mis read or I explained it poorly. I have 4 gigs of RAM, and since I'm aware programs can only use two gigs...there is 1.5 gigs of ram available within reaper, even after loading 5 instances. So I would think that with 20-50 megs per instance, that tops off at 250 megs...which still wouldn't bother my machine with the amount of RAM I have.

Please correct me if I am misunderstanding something.

Thank you for your quick reply.
Teri
Site Admin

Re: Drumagog & Reaper 2.46

Post by Teri »

zzfdvz wrote:I was barely touching the CPU and looked like I had 1.5 gigs of RAM open for the application.
I probably had this in mind when I was replying, but I see your system specs. Sorry about that.

I assume you're running 32-bit Windows, is this correct? Are you using a /3GB switch?

Even if your system is showing 1.5GB of RAM available, this does necessarily mean that this is accurate. Some programs, perhaps Reaper in this case, could not be accurately reporting RAM usage. Maybe this would be a question for the Reaper guys.

Running low on memory shouldn't crash Windows. What kind of system error was it?

At this point, it seems that Drumagog is not causing your system to crash, due to that fact that it depends on memory.
Teri Grossheim
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.