Fastest way to trigger a snare?

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

Tormentor

Fastest way to trigger a snare?

Post by Tormentor »

Please fill in how YOU work with drumagog to save time/money!
I use PT 6.7 PC digirack002.

I guess we can learn from each other right?
This is how i do right now (tomorrow i probably change again :-)

Start to bounce out one track with high threshold to only get the hard hits. I also use a GOG with only strong hits in the highest velocity.

Bounce another one (in a diffrent playlist) with low threshold with a GOG with all velocity layers you have so you get all gost notes triggerd.
(I might get to many hits here and there but nver mind)

In a third playlist you edit them together as you do with vocals recording.
Use the fist bounce as the main track and then paste in the fills from the second playlist when needed.

Total time 10-15 min.

I dont say this is the best way to work so please give your view on it as welll!
Good luck!
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

You can read my long-winded technique:

zumbido

I'm not usually interested in saving money, rather making it. :D

Also, for me, it takes as much time as it needs to be done 'right'.
Farview
Expert

Post by Farview »

If you have any control over the recording of the track that you are replacing, do what ever it takes to get the best trigger signal possible. Move the mic closer, use DDrum triggers, what ever.

Make sure you are in 'advanced mode'.

Go to visual mode and set the threshold to catch everything.

If there is too much false triggering because of bleed, use the trigger filter to keep the hi hat from triggering the snare (for example) Once you set the filter, you will have to re-adjust the threshold and possibly the input level to trigger the desired velocity of samples.
If you can't get the hang of the filter, insert an EQ in front of drumagog and EQ out everything that isn't the instrument you are trying to trigger from.

If none of that works, edit the track. Cubase and Nuendo have a 'detect silence' feature that can be used to isolate the drum form the background.

If the Dynamics are too wide, go to the advanced tab and adjust the 'dynamic tracking' knob. This will make the quiet hits, not so quiet and the loud hits, not so loud.

You can put a limiter in front of Drumagog to bring up the input (so it triggers the hard hitting samples) and tame some of the dynamics. However, if you are too far into the gain reduction, it will cause more mis-triggers than it solves.