ready to buy but have final questions??

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

tempest1226

ready to buy but have final questions??

Post by tempest1226 »

with drumagog:

if i purchase sample such as steven slaters, etc. Is it a pretty straight forward process or does it take a while?

does drumagog completly erase the chosen drum(s) or just overlap it

all i do for my drums in protools 7.3 is create a midi track and an aux track for output, select pencil feature and do 1 drum at a time and create hundreds of notes a song. Can i do this or does drumagog only work with its samples by converting an audio track

If anyone could give me maybe a more step by step (protools version if that matters) of how drumagog works (other than the details on this site) from more personal experience that would be awesome. Thank you so much for your time -Ron
Supersonic
Expert

Re: ready to buy but have final questions??

Post by Supersonic »

tempest1226 wrote:with drumagog:

if i purchase sample such as steven slaters, etc. Is it a pretty straight forward process or does it take a while?

-it is a very straight forward process. you will either download the samples- Supersonic has this option- or you will order the DVD and simply install from that disc in a few days.

does drumagog completly erase the chosen drum(s) or just overlap it

-there is a blend knob so you can blend all or none of the chosen sample. I hope I'm understanding you correctly.

all i do for my drums in protools 7.3 is create a midi track and an aux track for output, select pencil feature and do 1 drum at a time and create hundreds of notes a song. Can i do this or does drumagog only work with its samples by converting an audio track

-drumagog works with midi notes as well- it converts the midi notes to the chosen sample set but it won't work exactly like a sampler, you'd have to use a few instances of Drumagog for this setup.

If anyone could give me maybe a more step by step (protools version if that matters) of how drumagog works (other than the details on this site) from more personal experience that would be awesome. Thank you so much for your time -Ron
-I normally fully replace or blend in samples under real audio tracks. I start by scrolling through different sample sets and finding the snare/kick/tom that works for that song/track. When I do find the one/few that work I can then use the dry sample or even retune it to the song, which is a great feature. After that, I'll dial in the sensitivity so I get the most accurate response. When I find that setting, I'll then mess with the dynamic tracking knob and set up the samples to track with zero dynamics all the way up to 100% dynamic tracking ...which means the VOLUME of the replacement will match the volume of the original.

I hope this helps. I'm sure you'll get tons of usage from Drumagog and the Libraries you have to choose from! Feel free to contact me at any time.

E.
Supersonic Samples
Supersonic Samples @ Drumagog
Heavy Hitters Edition Coming Soon!!!
tempest1226

Post by tempest1226 »

thank you so much for your help. When you said drumagog works with midi notes as well- it converts the midi notes to the chosen sample set but it won't work exactly like a sampler, you'd have to use a few instances of Drumagog for this setup. Does this mean after i create drums for a full song on the midi grid using just the mouse and pencil i can replace the present drum sounds with the drumagog. But what do you mean by not working like a sampler?
tempest1226

Post by tempest1226 »

also, i thought of a more clear way saying what i want to use it for. haha. Basically i dont play drums. I know in a sense how there played which is what is good enough for me to pencil in on a midi grid note by note the whole drum song. So when i do this. Basically is drumagog a plugin that i would open as any other plugin on each drum track and select the specific sample you want. Another thing is when i do map in on the grid all the drums, all the drums are on one track. So on the midi grid, how can you set one specific sample (ex kick) to the track if all the drums are on the same track (midi grid). Or would you have to bounce down each drum (ex kick, snare, etc) to its own track, then ad drumagog to each of those tracks to set what sample you want for each. Sorry i am complete newbie to this but i really am interested in this and I feel like it would make my life a million times easier if it does actually do what i need it to do. Specially since i dont have a drummer. I dont want loops or samples. I just need individual drum sounds like a library of kicks for example, then to just pencil each kick in manually with the mouse for the whole song. Thanks again for your help. Its greatly appreciated.
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

It sounds as if you want use Drumagog as a sample 'player'.

Then yes, you would need to split out the MIDI notes to INDIVIDUAL MIDI tracks and insert a Drumagog into each track. You then go to the MIDI section and set Drumagog up accordingly.

I don't mean to steer you from Drumagog - as there is not a bigger advocate of this application than myself. But it seems, since you are NOT initially working with drum audio but rather MIDI, you might be better served with something like BFD.

If you prefer to 'write' your own MIDI parts, BFD would be a simpler way to go.

But if you are wanting to REPLACE existing audio with new - then Drumagog is the way to go.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Steven Slate Drums will be available as an expansion pack for BFD.

Maybe Mr. Slate can confirm or deny this.

Also know that Drumagog WILL interface with BFD 1/1.5 and soon (I am assuming) with BFD2.

All these applications seem to work together very well or individually. You just need to decide exactly what you are wanting to achieve.
tempest1226

Post by tempest1226 »

Since im really stuck on the sounds of the steven slates drums, what if i was to create all the drums on one midi track. Bounce down each drum to its own audio track, then just ad the drumagog plugin to each audio track. That way all your midi became audio just like if you recorded each drum with a mic and could now have say 5-6 audio tracks to work with. Which i think you said the best way to use drumagog is to convert audio tracks?
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

I see what you want to do.

However you create the Drum MIDI file is irrelevant. Maybe you type it in, play it in via keyboard or pads. That part doesn't matter.

What you need to do, after the MIDI track is composed, is to 'split out' each drum MIDI note. Usually C1 is the kick, D1/E1 is the snare, etc.

I don't know which DAW you use but many have a feature to do this quickly. In Cubase it's call 'Explode'.

Now that you have individual MIDI tracks for EACH drum, you then insert an instance of Drumagog into each one.

Have as as many tracks as you want or your computer can manage. You could make a duplicate for the kick and have two kicks to layer (be ware of flamming as MIDI is slow).

Starting with the kick track, open Drumagog and select the kick sample that you want. Click on the 'virtual drum' to audition your selection.

This picture would be a kick if you are selecting kicks.

After you have the sound-of-your-dreams, go to the 'Advanced' page, MIDI Section. Select 'MIDI IN ENABLE', 'MIDI PORT' drop down window and probably 'internal input', then the 'MIDI CHANNEL' number that you are using and finally the 'MIDI NOTE'.

Depending on your DAW, not always does C3 = C3. You may have to transpose either the MIDI note in your sequencer up/down an octave or two OR the MIDI note in Drumagog (which is easier).

Press play and you should have sound.

Repeat this for all the subsequent MIDI drum tracks.
tempest1226

Post by tempest1226 »

im using a dig002 with protools. I cant figure out how to seperate the drums into individual midi tracks. Also on protools, you cant ad a plugin to a midi track, just the aux track that is the output for the midi track.
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

Oh yeah... Pro Tools and MIDI.

While I use PT as my main DAW, I don't do any MIDI with it.

I'm sure someone will chime in here as to how to split up the MIDI notes.

Or go over to the Digi Forum.
tempest1226

Post by tempest1226 »

hey, i just downloaded the demo version and i was having serious delay (latency) issues with my protools 7.3 LE. I read the manual and it says that most programs have a feature called audio delay compensation but Protools LE doesnt. Do you have any light on this because drumagog worked (even though the 4 sample drums they gave in the demo sounded terrible) the latency was terrible. Thanks again for all your help
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

"Do you have any light on this..."

You might want to read this:

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/support/d ... _33000.pdf
Last edited by zumbido on Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
tempest1226

Post by tempest1226 »

it says page cannot be found
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

Oops... sorry incomplete link. Try this:

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/support/d ... _33000.pdf
tempest1226

Post by tempest1226 »

damn it. i cant figure out how to do it. Whenver I try to nudge an audio track it will only let me do it in large sections not detailed enough. and when i add the time adjuster to the drum tracks or all other audio tracks except drums it never does anything. It says the delay is 384 in the drum tracks so i set the time adjuster to that and it just doesnt work.
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

Believe it or not, I'm STILL using Pro Tools 5.

Anyways, are you trying to offset MIDI or audio?

If it's MIDI, there should be a 'MIDI Offset' window that you can open -- there is in PT5.

The easiest way to calculate the offset is to record a track of the NEW/REPLACED audio. Then, zoom in and measure the difference between the start of the MIDI and the start of the audio. Once you know this value, insert it into the MIDI Offset window for that given MIDI track. This will effectively advance the MIDI -- a manual delay compensation.

I can do all this in PT5 (and I have occasionally), so you can certainly do it in PT7.