Drumagog as main drum source with Sonar

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

jsbenson

Drumagog as main drum source with Sonar

Post by jsbenson »

I am very new to drumagog but very experienced with Sonar. I use an Alesis DM5 for my drum source on my tracks with Sonar.

I was wondering if I can use Drumagog as a drum source and how it compares with synthesized drums. Basically, I am looking for more realistic sounding drums (since I don't play drums).

Also, is it difficult to trigger drums in Drumagog with Sonar?
joey_capps

Post by joey_capps »

Using Drumagog as a drum "source," is tricky. You would have to run an instance of Drumagog and probably a separate track for every kit piece. In my opinion, it's a very resouce heavy way to emulate drums.

Fxpansion's BFD is the way to go if you want to use midi to trigger drum samples. Using Drumagog in conjunction with BFD is even better--you have BFD and Drumagog's samples available, plus you have the drum replacement capabilities as well.

Cheers.

Joe
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

I agree with joey_capps.

Drumagog is primarily intended to be used as a tool to replace drums from the original poorly recorded or bad sounding drums' audio tracks.

For instance you'd insert Drumagog into a kick track, select a sample within Drumagog or direct Drumagog to play BFD.

Do some minor tweaking in Drumagog, and the original kick part plays with a 'new and improved' sound.

Apply this to the snare and toms' tracks.

Drumagog doesn't perform as well with replacing hihats and cymbals.

You can play Drumagog via MIDI or have Drumagog generate MIDI from the audio track.

In any instance, Drumagog is extremely powerful.