sensitivity control

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

guitarweirdo

sensitivity control

Post by guitarweirdo »

Hi,
I have had really good luck so far with Drumagog's triggering. However, I have one particular snare track that is giving me fits. Sometimes, (not always) there is a particular section that will generate two hits in rapid succession, when there should only be one. Its very annoying because I can rewind to that section to try to find it again, and its not there. I'll try rewinding it 4 or 5 times before it will show up again. I've looked at the waveform for the snare track and I can't see anything unusual for this hit. I finally ended up copying and pasting another hit (that wasn't double triggering) for this hit. It seemed to work for a while, but now its doing it again, and I'm getting false triggers elsewhere in the song now.

I did dink with the sensitivity control, so I'm sure that has something to do with it. However, I'm not sure where its set at. Could you possibly put some reference marks on the slider in future versions? (or better yet, represent the sensitivity with a number?)

Is the sensitivity control under automation control (I'm using Cubase SL3)? There is a part in the song where I need the sensitivity to be higher. I'm guessing thats the best way to take care of this problem.

Thanks
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

You might also try tweaking the 'RESOLUTION' (upper right corner).

If you are expecting a single hit and are getting two or more, try increasing the 'RESOLUTION' value. Think of it as a gate. Increasing the 'RESOLUTION' value will eliminate the retriggering.

What I do is go through the entire track and look for the tightest hits (usually intentional snare flams, sometimes tom flams) and calculate the time between these hits and set the 'RESOLUTION' value accordingly.

As far as setting the 'SENSITIVITY', I look for the softest hit in a given track and set the 'SENSITIVITY' value to just let this audio pass.

Setting these two parameters usually works for the entire given drum track for probably 90-95% of the material I work on. For the other 5-10%, I'll tweak the troublesome areas manually and punch-in or seperate them out and setup another instance of Drumagog.
Last edited by zumbido on Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim »

Some other things to try:

I recommend using Advanced Triggering mode. This is set in the advanced page. Also, make sure you experiment with the "detail" slider. Moving this closer towards "higher detail" makes Drumagog more sensitive to flams and rolls, and moving it towards "less detail" makes it less sensitive to double triggers. This slider is also on the advanced page, at the top.

Regards,
Rim Buntinas
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
Last edited by Rim on Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
guitarweirdo

Post by guitarweirdo »

Thanks for the reply.

I got the terminology wrong...thats what I get for writing the post from work!

The adjustment I have always used for this was the slider on the "advanced" tab. I thought this was called "sensitivity", but its called "higher detail/lower detail". Adjusting this slider to the left will stop the double triggering, but it also takes it away where there are two desirable hits in rapid succession. I hadn't even considered "resolution". I don't know what the difference between these two controls are.
guitarweirdo

Post by guitarweirdo »

Wow, that will never happen again. My last post was posted the exact same time that Rim replied. Now that I have the terminology correct:

It looks to me after reading the manual that the detail slider and "resolution" do the same thing. What is the difference?

I can't tell what the detail slider is set at. How about in future versions having some "tick" marks or something? Or a representation with a number?

Can the detail slider be controlled by automation?
Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim »

Hi,

The detail slider is not automatable, but the resolution control is. The functions are slightly different, in that the detail slider only adjusts the amount of detail that the advanced triggering algorithm uses when detecting hits. The resolution control works in all triggering modes, not just advanced mode.

The resolution control is similar to a gate. After Drumagog detects a hit, it will wait the amount of time specified by the resolution control before listening again for the next hit.

Regards,
Rim