Technical Questions - Potential New User

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

silverwulf2

Technical Questions - Potential New User

Post by silverwulf2 »

I am considering buying Drumagog to use while recording my band's new demo. We're a heavy rock/metal band, and our drummer tends to do some double kick when appropriate, but does use a lot of drum rolls.

My computer (when we record) will be a 3.2 GHz P4 with either 3GB or 4 GB of RAM. In addition to mics, we will be running Ddrum Triggers from the kick, snare, and 5 toms. So, we'll potentially have 7 instances of Drumagog running at once during playback.

So, here's my questions:

1. How much of a CPU drain is Drumamgog?
2. Will my computer be able to handle all of that going on in real-time?
3. During fast drum rolls, does Drumagog track well?
4. Seeing my needs above, would you recommend Basic or Pro?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

I have a PC at 3.4 GHz and 4 MB RAM.

I run 10-12 instances of Drumagog with BFD.

You'll have far superior results with Drumagog AFTER the drums are tracked (and edited - including quantizing, if you want).

My experience with double kicks (some speed/death metal projects) is that they were sequenced - several bars of 32nds.

I think that your system will be more than adequate.

Once you get the drums sounding the way you want (with Drumagog inserted), print/record them to free up processing for amp plug-ins, vocal efx, etc. for further tracking or mixing.

I'd get the Pro Platinum version. I'm sure that you'll eventually get into serious drum replacing (that's what Drumagog is REALLY all about) and there are lots of great gog & BFD libraries available.

Here's a good one: Andy Johns Platinum Drums