Cymbals

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

xcuttherugx

Cymbals

Post by xcuttherugx »

I can't replace cymbals for crap ... does anyone know how to do this, because when someone is riding a cymbal the reverb creats a steady volume level that seems impossible to trigger
Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim »

Ride cymbal replacement is tricky, but not imposible. Make sure you use advanced triggering mode (on the advanced page), and set the detail slider to more detail. Then, play with the sensitivity until you catch the hits themselves.

Best Regards,
Rim Buntinas
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
Jayl

Post by Jayl »

If you are completely replacing, not just blending it with the real sound, then mute the ride so it creates a dull clinking.
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

Here's what I've done... and it is TEDIOUS.

I do this in Pro Tools so I can't address exactly what you might do in another program.

Here goes:

Using Beat Detective, slice up the ride track. Next, create an adjacent MIDI track and insert MIDI notes where each slice starts in the ride track. Now, you can MIDI trigger the ride samples.

I'll use different MIDI notes assigned to different samples (i. e., bell ride, tip, etc.). If you are using BFD, set it up to vary the pitch and velocity with several different rides, too. For example, you could assign a ride to half a dozen different MIDI notes with different random variables (Advanced tab of the Hit Options panel).

Or, you can manually write MIDI velocity if you need to. You can also add pitch variance with a mod-wheel (but very slightly - or just input values manually).

Going on from what Jayl said, you can try EQ'ing and gating the ride to pronounce the hits and eliminate the ring and other noise.

Then set up BFD as described above and go.