Can't get more than ONE MIDI out to work.

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

zumbido
Expert

Can't get more than ONE MIDI out to work.

Post by zumbido »

Scenario:

Using Cubase VST 5.2 PB1 Beta 7. I believe this is the last, most current version.

Track one: 'Audio', Kick audio imported, Drumagog inserted, MIDI out enabled, Internal Port selected, MIDI channel 1, MIDI note C1.

Track two: 'MIDI', Record enabled 'In 1', Out to BFD with a kick selected.

This works great. I can hear the original kick, the sample kick in Drumagog and the kick from BFD. I can mix any way I like. Perfect.

Now, if I add...

Track three: 'Audio', Snare audio imported, Drumagog inserted, MIDI out enabled, Internal Port selected, MIDI channel 2, MIDI note D1.

Track four: 'MIDI', Record enabled 'In 2', Out to BFD with a snare selected.

I can hear the original snare, the sample snare in Drumagog but NO BFD snare. BFD is apparently NOT receiving MIDI from Drumagog.

I've tried a single instance of BFD and a seperate instance of BFD for each MIDI track. I've gone into BFD concerning MIDI receive. Nothing.

Ideas? Solutions? Will Drumagog-BFD solve this?
Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim »

Zumbido,

This same setup works fine for me. One thing to check is to make sure you choose the correct Drumagog in your midi track's MIDI IN selector. They are labeled "Drumagog" and "Drumagog 2". Only trial and error can tell you which Drumagog is which. When I tried this experiment I was able to hear both tracks in BFD. Try it without Drumagog in the mix to simplify things. Create two identical midi tracks with MIDI data on them, then send them both to BFD. It's really the same thing, since Drumagog is not sending data to BFD, it's sending data to a Cubase track first.

Drumagog BFD doesn't use MIDI whatsoever, so it will be very simple to set up.

Best Regards,
Rim Buntinas
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

Rim,

Thanks for the quick response.

I can get multiple Drumagogs working IF there is a MIDI track with an existing prerecorded MIDI part. Been doing that for a long time.

What I'm trying to do is run multiple audio tracks (i.e., kick, snare, toms) with Drumagog inserted in each one with the MIDI sent to BFD without prerecording the MIDI first.

I just can't get past one track to do this. As I said I can hear the samples in Drumagog - kick, snare, toms - but only the first track sends MIDI to BFD.
Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim »

Zumbido,

Well, as far as I know, that's not supported in Cubase/Nuendo. The correct way to do it is to create a new MIDI track for each Drumagog instance. For example, if you have 3 Drumagogs inserted on 3 audio tracks, you would need 3 MIDI tracks as well. Those MIDI tracks won't be recording anything - they are just there to pass the MIDI through from Drumagog to BFD.

1. Set each MIDI track's input to a different Drumagog
2. Set each MIDI track's output to BFD
3. Make sure each midi track's record enable is on and blinking

Regards,
Rim
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

Yes I tried all that too.

Maybe it just doesn't work in Cubase.

It only works on the first audio track with a Drumagog inserted with MIDI out to a MIDI track (play-through) to BFD.

It makes no difference what channel is selected, just the first one set up. Subsequent ones won't go.

Maybe Drumagog-BFD will work.