Creating Midifile in Logic 9

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

HKC

Creating Midifile in Logic 9

Post by HKC »

Hi everyone
I haven't used Drumagog much the last couple of years while waiting for the 64 bit version but now a problem has come up that cannot wait for that to happen :?

I want to replace the bass drum of a track with a midi bass drum. I mean a real editable track where I can mess with velocities, mute certain notes etc. I remember having done an audio-to-midi thing with Drumagog a while back (maybe in Drumagog 4) but now I can't remember how I did it.
Could someone please guide me through it.....

Also is it possible within Drumagog 5 to lock the output velocity to ie 90. I know that you can make them all 127 but what about lower values. The problem is that I want a subtle bass drum sound underneath the real one but with velocity 127 subtlety is out of the question :)

Thanks in advance
Henrik Krogh
Chris M
Expert

Re: Creating Midifile in Logic 9

Post by Chris M »

Hello,

You should be able to record to an instrument track by following these instructions: f the DAW directly supports MIDI output from a plug-in (Nuendo or Cubase, for example), using the MIDI output is easy:

1. Enable “MIDI Out” in Drumagog’s Settings window.
2. Choose “Internal Port” from Drumagog’s MIDI port drop-down list.
3. Choose a MIDI note and channel.
4. Create a new MIDI (or instrument) track. Route the track’s output to the virtual synth (if needed).
5. Choose “Drumagog” as the MIDI track’s input.
6. Make sure the virtual synth’s MIDI channel and note settings match Drumagog’s, editing the values if needed.

If the DAW does not support Drumagog’s MIDI out a virtual MIDI cable to route the MIDI data (essentially “looping” the MIDI signal out of the DAW and then back in again to a MIDI track) is needed. The exact procedure varies between every DAW and computer combination, but the essential steps are outlined below:

1. Download and install a virtual MIDI “loopback” program (not included). Check the list at the end of this section for suggestions for each OS.
2. Enable “MIDI Out” in Drumagog’s Settings window.
3. In Drumagog’s MIDI port drop-down box choose your virtual MIDI cable port (i.e. MIDI Yoke Port 1, or MIDI Pipe Input 1).
4. Choose a MIDI note and channel.
5. On your virtual instrument (for example BFD2), choose the same note and channel number.
6. Create a new MIDI (or instrument) track and set the track’s input to the corresponding “loopback” port (i.e. MIDI Yoke Port 1 or MIDI Pipe Output 1).
7. Set the MIDI track’s output to the virtual instrument (if needed).
8. Record Drumagog’s MIDI output data to the MIDI track and then “nudge”, as needed (i.e. move earlier), to lineup the data.

Virtual MIDI “loopback” software applications:
OSX: MIDI Pipe
Windows: MIDI Yoke (Windows XP and below) LoopBe1 (Vista and Win7 compatible)

Best,

Chris
WaveMachine Labs