Making a gog in 5, from my own kit?

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

angeltread

Making a gog in 5, from my own kit?

Post by angeltread »

so...
i found some threads on making a gog in 4.... and i cant seem to figure out how or even if that translates to 5....
so. here is my personal case.
i want to replace my recording of my own kit, with my own kit.
why? to not have to deal with cymbal bleed basically.
i cant seem to make my toms and snare loud enough in my mix without having the cymbals be too harsh....
but thats a different problem...

anyway

so i got decent recording of my kit.
i did single takes on a separate tracks of each drum, about 10 varying hits, with a couple seconds of silence in between
im using cubase sx3
but with 5 i cant figure it out.
in some info i was finding on making your own gog... in 4 i was finding an "add from track" from the file menu.... but 5 doesnt have a file menu....
and i cant seem to find anywhere that it will let me.
sorry if this is obvious.. but im a noob.

if adding from a track is a still a feature in 5...
is there any additional work i need to do after that?
will drumagog read each hit and seperate them into each hit within the gog. will i have to specify the hardness of each hit or will drumagog do that for me?

thanks for any help. and as specific as you can get would help too.. like i said im a boob... er, i mean noob.

J
Jack
Expert

Re: Making a gog in 5, from my own kit?

Post by Jack »

Hello,

Creating GOGs in Drumagog 5 is even easier than in Drumagog 4. Your entire system's file browser is on your left-hand side of the window. You can access any GOG, WAV, or AIFF file located anywhere on your system in order to create new GOGs. Simply drag the file you select into the main window to drop individual samples of hits to create new GOGs. You can even add room sounds by dragging and dropping them onto their corresponding hits, as well. All of the naming and saving of the files is done from the main window within Drumagog.
Jack Goodall
WaveMachine Labs
http://www.drumagog.com
angeltread

Post by angeltread »

word. so i need to save each hit as individual waves then drag each wave into the main window. word. will try.
ARIEL

Post by ARIEL »

Do you guys have a DL PDF version of the manual for us DL only purchasers ? Also still trying to figure out how to add the OH and Room samples into the close mic Kicks/snares that I drag into the screen . DO you guys have something in video to detail how to do this ? ALso the File menu bar is too small still , now that we have to use it to scroll around and make our gogs using that window > I'll stick with Dgog 4 to make my gogs at this point .
Also in the default room sliders any way of customizing the names ? Like snare Bottom , or Kick far / sub ?
Jack
Expert

Post by Jack »

ARIEL wrote:Do you guys have a DL PDF version of the manual for us DL only purchasers ? Also still trying to figure out how to add the OH and Room samples into the close mic Kicks/snares that I drag into the screen . DO you guys have something in video to detail how to do this ? ALso the File menu bar is too small still , now that we have to use it to scroll around and make our gogs using that window > I'll stick with Dgog 4 to make my gogs at this point .
Also in the default room sliders any way of customizing the names ? Like snare Bottom , or Kick far / sub ?
Hello,

While we do not have a video on this topic, you can find a PDF of the Getting Started guide here: http://www.drumagog.com/support/downloads. There is a section of adding Room/OH samples to GOGs on pages 25-26. Adding a room sample to a close mic sample is done by simply dragging the room sample on topic of the corresponding close mic, and then selecting which of the 3 room slots it should go into. It also mentions how to customize the names by double-clicking the Room # label at the bottom of the fader.

As for the size of the File Menu bar, do you mean the built-in File Browser section in the upper left corner of the plugin? Or do you mean some part of the sample window?

Cheers,
Jack
Jack Goodall
WaveMachine Labs
ARIEL

Post by ARIEL »

Hi Jack ! thanks for your quick reply , Thanks for pointing to where the manual is ;) For some reason I didn't think to look in the downloads section for it .

For the larger file name viewing I mean the side bar ;) where the gog names are - When I go through my own custom samples i have to move the bottom fader back and forth quite a bit to navigate around which can slow things down and be a bit cumbersome . The old D4 method of just add file was good as it would open up into windows explorer in a side Bar which means you could stretch the window size to what you need . I have detailed labeling of the drum names - skins , mic used , hits as in "Velocity" and "hit" so it can get quite wordy . So a little wider would be great !

With the new file nav section , the more extensions you open the more you have to scroll back and forth from the bottom . Maybe have an option of when you need to add samples to a new gog , you just put your mouse over the black space and right click on the mouse which automatically goes to windows explorer to add samples from whichever location they are like in vs4 .

Also the section where our samples are displayed is not quite as deep as the old vs 4 - which I found to be really useful in seeing all my samples . I Realize That the new concept was to have everything in just one frame , But then you end up compromising the size a bit . Navigation and ease of use visually is key . In fact having the vs 5 with an ever deeper sample viewing screen would be great . I am glad you guys kept it in as sometime we want to be able to mute certain hits or even just use a single hit . I don't mind at all if you have to add a few nav bar tabs like vs 4 .

Also it seems like we have to add our room samples one at a time to the corresponding close mic which is very time consuming. Any plans to expand that ? maybe if our samples would lock up with corresponding number extensions ?

Thanks !!
Jack
Expert

Post by Jack »

Thanks for the feedback on the file browser. We can definitely look into better ways to show longer file paths.

As for the room sounds, we are already in the process of considering options for additional ways to streamline importing many room sounds to GOGs more quickly.

Cheers,
Jack
Jack Goodall
WaveMachine Labs