Drumagog MIDI input and Sonar

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

morgoe

Drumagog MIDI input and Sonar

Post by morgoe »

I'm using Sonar 6 atm and am having trouble with Drumagog. I have a MIDI file and I want to use Drumagog to convert that into an audio file. I cant seem to do this and have to use StudioDrummer as a 'middle man'. Just wondering if there is a way to do this in v6 (although I'm guessing not because putting a track's output to a plugin was only introduced in 7 I think). If not, can Sonar 8 Studio edition do it? I'm looking to buy it now but I want to make sure it can do this first.
Matt W
Expert

Post by Matt W »

We don't know either if this has changed in SONAR 8, as we don't have an updated version yet here in our office. I can say that in any version up to and including SONAR 7, in order to use Drumagog's MIDI input you would need an additional add-on utility called DirectiXer (http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/DirectiXer/).

The problem is that SONAR does not support sending MIDI information to plugins that aren't tagged "software synths", i.e. inserted into the SONAR synth rack. As Drumagog is a plain ol' insert VST effect, there is no way to route MIDI to it (again, at least as of version 7). This feature is part of the VST spec, but one that SONAR has yet to implement. By using DirectiXer to wrap Drumagog into a Direct X plugin, SONAR will allow you to route your MIDI track to Drumagog.

We have some step-by-step instructions on our website:

http://www.drumagog.com/sonar.asp
Matthew Werner
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
www.drumagog.com
morgoe

Post by morgoe »

Unfortunately Morgoe, the way you describe is the only way I too have gotten Drumagog to work with midi....by using a middleman plug. It's not how it's supposed to work. I have messaged Rim and Terri from the Drumagog site asking them to update the Sonar/Drumagog help files, but they have not even attempted to get me straightened out. Also, if you read the help on their site and in Drumagog, it mentions the use of a plug called DirectiXer that turns Drumagog into a full blown VSTi. I doesn't do a bit of good, so that was money wasted for me.

In my opinion (unless someone here can teach us or give us some credible info) Drumagog will NOT work properly using midi with Sonar. I have tried and exhausted every possible thing, Morgoe. I was on a mission to make this work especially in midi mode because I have built an entire kit of samples that I created gog's for. I was hoping to trigger them in real time via Roland V Drums...but it just ain't gonna happen. I don't know if the issue is in Drumagog or Sonar. I've never tried to use the Drumagog midi outside of Sonar in another application, so I really don't know how it would react. But in all my tests, it's a loser midi wise even with that DirectiXer thing. Your best bet (I know this sucks and is the long way around) would be to do a midi split note to track, and then turn each midi into audio THEN apply drumagog. This is the only way I have been able to make Drumagog work in Sonar. Midi does not work at all. If you go to the help page on Drumagog, you will see they have notes for using midi in Sonar. No clue what version they use as their help file, but I can't get past the second or 3rd line they mention because the menu they claim should be there, does not show up on my end. So something is screwy. I mailed them, I posted messages...all unanswered, so I gave up on Drumagog and midi. If you ever figure it out, please share with me as I would love to know how to do this.
From the Cakewalk forums..
Matt W
Expert

Post by Matt W »

I have step-by-step instructions for using Drumagog's MIDI in with SONAR. We'll be adding this to our SONAR page on the website (
http://www.drumagog.com/sonar.asp):

1. Open the SONAR plug-in manager and select Drumagog (Fixed Latency) from your list of VST Audio Effects. Click Plugin Properties and check Use as synth. Close the Plugin Manager.
2. Open SONAR and open a project with the MIDI track you want to trigger Drumagog with. Create a new audio track and open it's FX bin. Look under "Soft synths" for Drumagog (Fixed Latency) and select it. Do not select anything under "Audio FX" or "vstplugins".
3. In the Drumagog window click the "Advanced" tab and click to enable "MIDI In Enable". Under MIDI port select "Internal Port".
4. In your existing MIDI track choose "Drumagog (Fixed Latency)" under Output. Also note the MIDI channel and MIDI note you are using.
5. Back in Drumagog's Advanced tab select the appropriate MIDI channel and MIDI note. IMPORTANT: SONAR and Drumagog use different MIDI standards for note values, so the MIDI octaves will not match. Drumagog's MIDI note C3 (the default) equals MIDI note C5 in SONAR. Here's an example: if your MIDI snare part in SONAR is note D2, set Drumagog's MIDI note to D0.
Matthew Werner
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
www.drumagog.com