Can't audition samples in Logic?

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

dboy

Can't audition samples in Logic?

Post by dboy »

Clicking on the play button in the samples window does nothing. I tried this with logic looping over a blank space as well. Is this feature broken?
Logic 8.02 Drumagog 4.10
Teri
Site Admin

Post by Teri »

dboy,

What are your computer specifications? I can try to replicate it here to determine if it's a bug or user error. This is the first report of this particular issue.
Teri Grossheim
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
dboy

Post by dboy »

Two Machines: Mac Pro Quad 2.66 w/4 gigs RAM. Macbook Pro 2.33 w/3 gigs
Drumagog Pro version 4.10
Logic 8.02
Same problem on both machines. I am able to get it to work briefly when feeding Drumagog actual audio then stopping. Changing any parameter causes Drumagog to no longer trigger any sound using the play button/right click or even clicking on the window on the main page. Definitely an issue here. Playing over a blank looped section does nothing either.
Logic 8.02 Drumagog 4.10
dboy

Post by dboy »

Another weird one. After playing with Drumagog for a bit the GUI stopped responding completely: clicking on anything like the window tabs does nothing at all! Closing the gui and reopening didn't do anything to fix this, only closing Logic and reopening the file "fixed" it. I am using the "fixed latency" version although it appears that the other version exhibits the same behavior. Some kind of gui/graphics issue......
Logic 8.02 Drumagog 4.10
Teri
Site Admin

Post by Teri »

What you're describing above seems to be related to authorization. Drumagog behaves in this fashion when it needs to be reauthorized. Is there a message on the Main Tab that says "demo/evaluation expired - click to unlock"? If so, Drumagog needs to be reauthorized. This would also explain the audition problem.

Simply select the message to obtain the 12-digit CPUID. Then visit the support page at http://www.drumagog.com/support.asp with the CPUID and your registration name, email, and phone number. A new unlock code is automatically emailed to you for re-authorization.

If there is not a "demo-click to unlock" message, I would next suggest a reinstall of the "full retail version" of Drumagog. Then attempt to reauthorize by following the directions above.

If Drumagog is still behaving irratically, I'll be happy to investigate using your system specs.
Teri Grossheim
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
dboy

Post by dboy »

Reinstalled the retail version, re authorized it. Same exact problem. Please look into this.
Logic 8.02 Drumagog 4.10
Teri
Site Admin

Post by Teri »

We've been able to duplicate this here, using Logic 8 on both PowerPC and Intel Macs. It seems Logic does not allow Drumagog to process/pass through audio unless the audio engine is engaged (i.e. pressing play on the transport). In our experimentation, this also occurred in Digital Performer, but not in Ableton Live, both support (including Logic) the AU format. This leads us to believe it is host dependent, not a problem with Drumagog's functionality/programming.

Drumagog needs some sort of audio information/file on the track, in addition to an engaged audio engine, in order for the audition function to work. For instance, the audition function (both clicking the Main Tab movie and the play button in the Samples Tab) worked when transport was playing, with the cursor over any audio file (even silence).

A suggested work around would be to insert a small, silent audio file somewhere on the track for auditioning purposes. This way a user can loop the silent region to audition files.

The audition control will not function when the transport is stopped, even on a track containing an audio file, due to the disengaged audio engine.

If Drumagog is inserted on a track, without any audio file/information, the audition control will not function.

It would be nice if Logic had some sort of "plug-in monitoring" setting that would let a user enable/disable this sort of thing, see Matt's post below.

I hope this helps.
Last edited by Teri on Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Teri Grossheim
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
dboy

Post by dboy »

Any plans for a fix, or will you pass the buck on to Apple? In the mean time, I'll try your work around. Thanks.
Logic 8.02 Drumagog 4.10
Matt W
Expert

Found the answer to auditioning in Logic

Post by Matt W »

After some internal testing, it turns out it's a simpler issue and is more by Apple's design. In order to hear a plugin while the track isn't playing, you'll need to have the audio track "record-enabled", otherwise Logic won't allow the plugin to engage the audio engine. Other hosts seem to manage this automatically, and there may be a setting in Logic that let's plugins run all the time.

So, just record enable the track Drumagog is on (no need to actually record), and you should be able to audition as you need to.

Matt Werner
WaveMachine Labs
Matthew Werner
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
www.drumagog.com
dboy

Post by dboy »

Thanks, I'll check that out.
Logic 8.02 Drumagog 4.10
dboy

Post by dboy »

Record enabling doesn't do anything here. How did you get that to work on your system? Tried on three different machines and none worked. The only thing that works is to loop a section of blank audio.
Logic 8.02 Drumagog 4.10
zguignou

Post by zguignou »

Same problem here.

Put the track in record mode solved the issue.

Thx
`