drumagog/bfd2/reaper/midi ? ?

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

jono

drumagog/bfd2/reaper/midi ? ?

Post by jono »

Hi - I downloaded the dgog demo today, gave it a whirl with BFD2 - seemed to work fine (although i didn't try any midi interface..). Really excited about it since I have a project that will require wholesale replacement of the original drum recording....Paid my money, downloaded platinum.

Unmitigated disaster since then.

The dgog gui doesn't render properly, Reaper crashes with more than 4 instances of dgog running, I can't get midi talking out of dgog and into bfd2. This is not a case of gimpy-computer syndrome- XP, Quad, 3 fast drives, 3 gig switch, etc. etc...i run 100 tracks with lots of plugs in Reaper with BFD2 - absolutely no problem...very, very stable.

So I 'm not looking for answers here (although I'll take some if you've got them) - but - was this just a bad idea? I mean, I went so far as to narrowing it down to 1 SNARE TRACK with dgog and BFD2 - the thing still crashed.

Sorry about the rant - 8 hours of this has taken its toll. But i really would like to know if anyone else has made this work, or if I just made an expensive mistake.

J
Teri
Site Admin

Post by Teri »

Hello,

I'm sorry you're having problems. Drumagog interfaces directly with BFD/BFD2, so you don't have to use the MIDI Output. The MIDI Output is designed to work with other plug-ins (Battery, Addictive Drums, etc.), but since Platinum has this integration, there's really no need to use Drumagog's MIDI output with BFD2. Did you get a chance to take a look at the following directions in the manual?

1. Insert Drumagog Platinum onto your drum tracks.
2. Insert BFD onto an audio track (or instrument track).
3. Open BFD and load a drum kit.
4. Open Drumagog, and choose <BFD> from the folder selection box.
5. Choose a BFD kit piece from the Drumagog sample selection box.
6. Press play on your transport. Drumagog should trigger on your drum track, and you should hear audio coming from the BFD track.

It's also important to insert Drumagog first before BFD, otherwise BFD will not detect Drumagog. If you remove Drumagogs, you'll also need to remove BFD before reinserting Drumagog otherwise the two plug-ins will not see each other.

If you haven't been following these directions accurately, this can cause problems similar to your description below.

I also recently help another customer using Reaper on Windows with a /3GB switch. You can check it out here: http://www.drumagog.com/phpbb2/viewtopi ... ght=reaper

If you continue having trouble let us know.
Teri Grossheim
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
jono

Post by jono »

Hi Teri,

Thank you for your response. However - with all due respect I understand all of this and have already read the doc that you included in this thread. It works...intermittently - I can get dgog to talk to BFD2 - but it consistently crashes. and, the MIDI function does not work at all when used with BFD2. So I've given up - I just use dgog by itself in processing audio drum tracks and outputting a midi file. I leave BFD2 completely out of it. Once the midi file has all the drum tracks on it, I delete dgog, add a BFD2 track, and attach the midi file to the BFD2 track.

I get the desired result, but the notion that dgog works with BFD2 I believe is erroneous. Also - there is considerable doc on the dgog site referring to the BFD 'version' of dgog - but it is not carried by any retailer I can find, and is not available for purchase from y'all online. So is there a BFD version for sale? Maybe this version has something different than the platinum version?
Matt W
Expert

Post by Matt W »

Hi Jono,

It sounds like something is either not installed correctly, or possibly incompatible versions are being used, because instances of Drumagog and BFD2 crashing any are not typical. Can you tell us the exact error message you are receiving when trying to use the two together? The error message that happens when the two plugins are not connecting will be a message in Drumagog that says "BFD Not Loaded", which can be caused by Drumagog being installed into a non-default location (BFD requires Drumagog be installed in it's default location).

As to your question regarding Drumagog BFD, that is a product that we no longer offer, that was only sold direct through our website and wasn't available in stores. It was a limited version of Drumagog that only worked with BFD, and all of it's features are included in Drumagog Platinum.
Matthew Werner
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
www.drumagog.com