Drumagog + Pro Tools + BFD

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

fcrock

Drumagog + Pro Tools + BFD

Post by fcrock »

I'm working on a project where i'm transposing drums from a bad recording my band did to something that's better sounding in BFD. I've got plugins set for all of my instruments (7 total: bass, snare, tom 1, 2, 3, crash 1, crash 2)

However, I can only get the first 5 to trigger. I tried taking one of the tom plugins off and noticed that the crash worked.... meaning that I could only get 5 input tracks to trigger. :(

I am using the demo version... is the number of plugin inputs limited on this version. This answer is the only thing keeping me from purchasing at this point.
Teri
Site Admin

Post by Teri »

How much RAM do you have? In real-time Drumagog uses about 20-50MB per instance. Users with 3+ GB systems can typically use 4-5 instances of Drumagog at once. If your system has about this much RAM, you can always bounce/print the track to conserve your computer's resources.

Have you tried isolating the situation, for example exporting the drums only to a new session (to conserve resources) and determining if you can use/insert more instances of Drumagog?

If you have more RAM, perhaps there is another issue here.

There is no limit to the demo version, this is a 14-day full version of Drumagog Platinum.
Teri Grossheim
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
Tooms

Post by Tooms »

Hey,

I'm looking at possibly picking up a copy of Drumagog to save me from manually triggering my drum takes, track at a time.
(I leave in my overheads but trigger the rest. And triggering kick and snare alone can take up quite a lot of time!)

2 questions that I think are relevant:

1. I am under the belief that running XP (not the 64bit version) you can only have a max of 2 GB of RAM. You could have more but it just wouldn't get used. Therefore am I likely to experience problems trying to trigger say 5 tracks (kick, snare, tomx3)?

2. Am I correct in thinking that Drumagog runs along with the session, and adds it's samples to the raw drum sound recorded. i.e it doesnt do total beat replacement and it doesnt create (or can be made to create) an additional track with the sampled sounds on it? Meaning processor power is continually being used when playing the track, over and over, until I bounce it down? (I ask because I prefer to keep my drum tracks a bit more dynamic when recording the guitars and vocals and wouldnt want to have to settle for a bounced mix...but WOULD like to be able to hear the Drumagog samples)

cheers

[edit: apologies, looks like you can get XP (32) up to 3Gb of RAM by messing around in the boot.ini file. But even then it looks like applications may only see the 2GB. Regardless, question still stands]
Teri
Site Admin

Post by Teri »

Tooms,

Thanks for your interest in Drumagog. I suggest downloading the demo from the download page at http://www.drumagog.com/download.htm and determine how many instances of Drumagog you can work with. It's a balance between the amount of RAM available on your computer, and the amount that is being taken up by other activities in your session (signal processing, other plug-ins, etc.).

Drumagog is a real-time plug-in, so it works while the session is playing (or during mixing/recording). It does not create an additional track, and it does not destroy (non-destructive) the original track. In addition, it does not create extra beats/grooves/fills.

Drumagog basically detects the peak of an audio waveform (or MIDI), and triggers a sample while replacing the original audio with this sample. Drumagog's blend control allows a user to mix the original audio with the sample if you're looking for that sound.

It can be used in real-time while recording guitars/vocals, but if you run into RAM troubles, you'll need to bounce down (or bypass Drumagog for the time being).

Hopefully the demo will give you a better idea.
Teri Grossheim
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.