Gog Library Not Showing Up

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

zzfdvz

Gog Library Not Showing Up

Post by zzfdvz »

I have drumagog pro 4.10 on logic studio 8.01, on a mac pro dual 2.66 w/ 10.5.1 and 3 gigs of ram. I have all of my samples subdivided into three folders within the standard drumagog/gog files folder...which are snares, kicks, and toms. When I add all of the samples I have I'm getting weird results. Some of them are not showing up, some of them are being looked at in finder as rich text files instead of unix executables...overall it's just a mess. I was wondering if there's a limit to how big the folder can be for the gog files in order for drumagog to properly read it or something to that affect. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Teri
Site Admin

Post by Teri »

Any .gog file must be contained in a folder, and there cannot be a folder within a folder when managing .gog files.

In the Gog Folder sample file path in the Advanced Tab. The folders then correlate to the drop down menu, and the samples within each folder appear in the black box.

If you have three folders, kicks/snare/toms, then all of your kick gogs would be in the kick folder, etc.

If you are using your own wav/aif/sdII files, do not place the files in these folder. They are for gog files only.

Use the Favorites list when working with wav/aif/sdII files. Simply browse for the file, then select "add" to add it to yhe favorites list. Anytime you select "favorites", your list is recalled.
Last edited by Teri on Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Teri Grossheim
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
hulljaja

Post by hulljaja »

Actually I'm having this same problem on my Macbook pro. I moved all my gog files into users/username/gog files, pointed drumagog to this location in the advanced tab, made sure all the permissions on each gog file was wide open, and can only see a handfull of them in the drumagog finder. Why is drumagog showing some and not others in the same folder?

Thanks

Scott Hull
Teri
Site Admin

Post by Teri »

Hi Scott,

How are your gog files organized? All .gog files must be contained in folders, and there cannont be a folder inside of a folder. Are your gog files organized like the above screenshot?
Teri Grossheim
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
hulljaja

Post by hulljaja »

Hi Teri,

Yeah they are. Originally when I had this problem I consulted this thread and mimmicked the layout and location (except that I just created a single folder under user/username/document/gog files), and took the additional step to verify that all the permissions on the individual gog files in that folder were read/write for everyone. But the drumagog browser only sees a hand full of the ones in there. I can't seem to find a similar experience on the web anywhere.

Thanks for your help!

scott hull
zzfdvz

Post by zzfdvz »

I'm also still having the same issue despite your suggestions. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, moving, etc and I can't seem to find a common thread as to why or how.
Teri
Site Admin

Post by Teri »

I am sorry you are having trouble. Did you successfully install the samples on your computer?

Did you purchase Drumagog from a retail store or as a download from the website? The DVD version includes the sample library, whereas the download installer does not include the library. If you purchased Drumagog as a download, you must login under the "Free Sample Library" heading on the download page at http://www.drumagog.com/download.htm to download the sample library.

The "Gog Folder" file path in the lower left corner of the Advanced Tab has to coordinate to where the .gog files are located on your computer. Like in the screenshot above, this example on a Mac shows Gog File Folders (i.e. Rock Toms) within a "Gog Files" Folder. Drumagog is set to the "Gog Files" folder in the advanced tab. When done properly, the folders appear in the drop-down menu on the Main Tab and any samples with the folder appear in the black box.

Do not be mislead that Drumagog should be set to a particular .gog file in the Advanced Tab. The screenshot above shows .gog file orgranization.

If you continue having issues, feel free to email us at support@drumagog.com.
Teri Grossheim
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
hulljaja

Post by hulljaja »

That's the strange part. It shows SOME of the gogs INSIDE the folder (and yeah in the advanced tab i select the gog folder that contains a subfolder with all the gogs), but not all of them. If it showed none, that would almost make more sense.

You haven't heard of this before now?

I've been using the DL version of drumagog for years btw, in case that's important.

Thanks for the help.

scott

EDIT: to answer your first question. . .I've not installed the samples. I've been just moving my gog library around to each new box I replace my old one with. Actually I don't think I've ever really installed the sample library, unless it was initially included with the basic install a million years ago and was titled "demo collection". You think NOT installing the sample library has something to do with it?
Teri
Site Admin

Post by Teri »

Scott,

There have been some misunderstanding that the sample library is included in the Drumagog installer. Since the sample library is a separate download, I wanted to make sure you were not looking for samples that are not installed on your computer.

Ok, the sample library is not installed on your computer. To clarify, do you only have the "demo collection" on your computer? What .gog files are on your computer?

The only instance we are aware that .gog files do not appear in the Main Tab black box is with the Steven Slate Library. Since you are not using this library, I have a feeling you have all you samples (kick, snares, toms, etc.) in one folder. Drumagog has the capacity to read only so many samples within one folder, so I suggest making folders inside the "Gog Folder" doing the following:

Gog Folder
>Kicks
>Snares
>Toms
>etc.

Then place all the Kick .gogs in the kick folder, place the snare .gogs in the snare folder, etc. You will notice that the folders correspond with the drop down menu in the Main Tab, and all of the .gog files with the folder will appear in the black box.
Teri Grossheim
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
darrellnutt

I'm having the same problem?

Post by darrellnutt »

I have 185 sanre gog files in my snare gog folder. I know that the folders are being address correctly because I can see 84 of them from within Drumagog. But, the rest are not seen.

Some of the files also appear to be text files, however this has no bearing on which ones are available in the program.

is there a limit to how many .gog files can be in any ONE folder?

Thanks - Darrell
Teri
Site Admin

Post by Teri »

Darrell,

You should try to divide that main Snare folder into more folders with a smaller amount of samples.

For example, perhaps there are gogs that are from our library, a Steven Slate Library, and your own library. I suggest creating three folders such as FreeLibrarySnares, StevenSlateSnares, and DarrellSnares. This has worked for the majority of users.

There is no determined limit on how many gogs appear within a given folder. It varies from operating system to operating system, platform to platform, etc.
Teri Grossheim
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
darrellnutt

Thanks

Post by darrellnutt »

THanks Teri,

I 'll try that! I'll post an update after I have tested it.

Cheers - Darrell
rpalagy

confused about .gog organization

Post by rpalagy »

I too am confused about .gog file organization...

at some point I'm reading "...you cannot have a folder within a folder..."
but I'm also reading you can have SNARES>STEPHENSLATESNARES...etc.

So which is it?

When I click browse and try to navigate to where my desired kick or snare is I see it and click on it and then it does not seem to activate. I get taken back to the default menu.

This is currently how I'm organized:

Applications>Drumagog>Gog Files>Bass Drums
Applications>Drumagog>Gog Files>Snares
Applications>Drumagog>Gog Files>Toms
Applications>Drumagog>Gog Files>Demo Collection
Applications>Drumagog>Gog Files>Cymbal
Applications>Drumagog>Gog Files>Collection

It's this last folder that has a ton of stuff I'd like to use...I have 17 folders within that that are Electronic Bass Drums, Electronic Snares, etc.

Do I need to move all my kicks into subfolders under "Bass Drums"?
Do I need to move all my snares into subfolders right under "Snares"?

Thanks for clearing this up.

I attached a snapshot of my folder structure...
Ray P
Attachments
my gog folder structure
my gog folder structure
Picture 1(2).png (125.44 KiB) Viewed 16659 times
Teri
Site Admin

Post by Teri »

The key here is to move all folders with .gog files into the "Gog Files" folder. For example, your screenshot shows Applications>Drumagog>GogFiles>Collection>Electronic Bass Drums. In order for Drumagog to read the files, the Electronic Bass Drums folder need to in the "Gog Files" folder, without the "Collection" folder. Do not use subfolders like in your screenshot. Because Drumagog looks to a certain location (folder) on your computer, it will not be able to read any files that are "hidden" from this location. Your "Gog Files" folder should look something like this:

Gog Files >Electronic Bass Drums
>Electronic Snares
>Factory Sample
>NS Kit Free
>Etc

Drumagog looks at a specific location for samples on your computer. This configuration is in the Advanced Tab in the lower left corner under the "Gog Folder" heading. When you select "change" a browse window appears. In your case, you will want to point Drumagog to the "Gog Files" folder and leave it there. You will then notice that any folder within the "Gog Files" folder appears in the pull down menu in the Main Tab, and any sample(s) within a given folder appears in the black box underneath for accessibility.

The Steven Slate information you are reading on the forum has to do the issue that too many samples within one folder can cause Drumagog not to read all of them. That forum post suggests dividing the library into folders such as StevenSlateKicks, StevenSlateSnares, etc.

You can then create and name folders for your own samples, as long as they are located in the "Gog Files" folder.
Teri Grossheim
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.