DP5/Drumagog/DFHS/MIDI

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

hotmeal

DP5/Drumagog/DFHS/MIDI

Post by hotmeal »

I own DFHS and finally got Drumagog to see it using MIDI out. Here's what I had to do to replace a snare (in this order!)

1. Insert drumagog on the snare track in DP5
2. Add the DFHS instrument track. I named it "KD"
3. Create all the usual AUX tracks like you would in any other DFHS session
4. If drumagog window is open, CLOSE IT. It for some reason cannot yet see "KD" in its MIDI OUT pulldown.
5. Double-click the drumagog insert to make it appear again. Wait 5 seconds while it spazzes out (I hold my breath, like trying to start my car in the winter!!) if it stays on screen then great. KD appears in the MIDI out.
6. You ain't done yet!
7. DFHS says my Snare MIDI note is E0. With all virtual mics on, I can tap the pad and hear it playing.. huge sound. Set Drumagog to E0, and nothing. BUT, change both to C1 and ta-da it's working.
8. Kind of.
9. Velocities aren't even close to being right, so in DFHS I pull both SOFT and HARD limits down to 0 and all of a sudden the snare comes pounding through at velocity 127. Good enough; it's heavy material and this DFHS track is going to be blended underneath the original drum recording anyway.
10. Manually align the recorded tracks with the original to compensate for the delay (although I am using the fixed latency version of drumagog..?)

Someone please tell me there's an easier way. I tried recording to a MIDI track, thinking DFHS will just play that... but nothing is recording to the track no matter what I try. Anyhoo.
Teri
Site Admin

Post by Teri »

hotmeal,

Drumagog typically uses a virtual MIDI cable when working with other virtual instruments (excluding BFD). MIDI Pipe on a Mac, MIDI Yoke on a PC. This process is also somewhat lengthy such as the situation above.

Drumagog probably needs to detect the DFHS/"KD" before it appears in the MIDI menu, so that is why the open/close method is needed for KD to appear in the MIDI menu. Like I stated above, Drumagog is designed to work with virtual MIDI cables, so this is most likely the culprit.

This is probably also the cause of the E0/C3 discrepancy. I understand that this can be confusing since MIDI is MIDI. Because of the way Drumagog was designed for external virtual instrument use (virtual MIDI cables), this discrepancy has occured on your system.

If you are interested in finding out more about this, there is a MIDI section in the Drumagog manual starting on p.67.

We are working on a way to make this process a more streamlined, so we are confident that this will be easier in the future.
Teri Grossheim
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
hotmeal

Post by hotmeal »

Thanks Teri, MidiPipe is what I ended up using and it works great!