how to use drumagog pro and BFD in Cubase 4?

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

guitargod414

how to use drumagog pro and BFD in Cubase 4?

Post by guitargod414 »

hi,
i was wondering how to send a drumagog sample (say on a snare track) to BFD so i could use the ambient sounds of BFD? i just got BFD and am not really comfortable with it yet.
i am kind of new to using midi so i think i must be doing something wrong. i have BFD set up as a virtual instrument and then the midi out of drumagog set to internal port and the midi track's input set to drumagog. is this right? which BFD should i use (stereo, ultra, etc...). do i need to run it via rewire? i just can't seem to get any sound to BFD.
is someone could give me a short step by step that would rock!

cheers,
dean
:wink:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, 2 GB ram, Cubase 4 and SX3, MOTU HD192 x2, Powercore firewire, UAD, waves diamond bundle, drum-a-gog, BFD, tascam us2400
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

Are you using Drumagog Platinum?

If so... the BFD sounds show up in the Drumagog instrument window. You don't even need to deal with the MIDI section in the 'Advanced' page.

Select the the 'Snare' (in Drumagog) and it will play BFD.

I run BFD in 'BFD All' mode. The ambiance channels - Overheads, Room and PZM - can be controlled individually in the Cubase mixer (with EQ, Dynamics, EFX) as well as the individul mic'd drum channels - 17 in all.

But you can run BFD in 'BFD Stereo' mode if you want and control the ambiance channel's mix in BFD.

I've been liking the gog sounds in Drumagog with ONLY the BFD ambiance channels - as you are describing.

If you are using BFD as a VST you won't need to utilize Rewire.

If you are using an older version of Drumagog, it's sounds just about right as far as how you have things routed.

Make sure that the corresponding Drumagog MIDI info (Port, check MIDI Out, MIDI channel and note) is correct with BFD.

Also make sure that the MIDI coming from Drumagog is 'playing' through to BFD.

The Platinum version has taken care of all this 'old' MIDI routing.
guitargod414

Post by guitargod414 »

thanks for the reply.
i am not using platinum. that is why i put the heading as drumagog pro.
maybe i am opening BDF wrong somehow. when i open it in the virtual instrument rack, should it create faders in Cubase? if so, i don't think that is happening. i think i need to really read the manual. i just sort of dove into it real quick one day when i didn't really have time to throughly go through it. i might just be doing something really stupid.
if someone can give me a quick step by step on how to set it up, routing and all in Cubase 4 or SX3, that would be great.

cheers,
dean
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, 2 GB ram, Cubase 4 and SX3, MOTU HD192 x2, Powercore firewire, UAD, waves diamond bundle, drum-a-gog, BFD, tascam us2400
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

"when i open it in the virtual instrument rack, should it create faders in Cubase?"

Yes.

Make sure that the mixer is set to 'view' all - Audio, MIDI, VSTs, Groups.

You might have it set to only show Audio and MIDI.

If you go to open a VST Instrument and select BFD, you should see all the options (i.e., Stereo, Groups, All, Ultra).

Then the appropriate number of channels will appear in your main mixer. If you are ONLY interested in the ambiance channels in BFD - select 'BFD Groups'.

And of course any other VSTs you have open, their respective channels should also appear.

I HIGHLY recommend upgrading to Platinum ($89) since you have BFD.