is drumagog cpu or ram heavy?

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

jlee462

is drumagog cpu or ram heavy?

Post by jlee462 »

So I am looking to get a new mac to dedicate to processing drums. I will be using Ableton 6 with about 12 to 15 drum tracks and I plan on using Drumagog extensively. I assume I will have about 7-10 instances of Drumgog running.

Therefore, I am looking at a Mac Mini which has an Intel Core Duo or an iMac which has an Intel Core 2 Duo. I have no idea if the mac mini will handle the workload or if I need more cpu?

What is the consensus here? Is it easy to have that many instances of drumagog running or do I need as much machine I as I can get? Should I be more worried about RAM that CPU?

Thanks for any info.
Jeremy
chefmike8888

Post by chefmike8888 »

Hey Jeremy, Did you evev get an answer to this? If so I'd like to know, Thanks. Mike
joey_capps

Post by joey_capps »

I found that when I had 1 Gb of RAM, I ran into issues using more than three instances of Drumagog. I upgrade to 3 Gb of RAM and have had no problems whatsoever. In my opinion, a minimum 2 Gb of RAM is essential for running music applications.

I'm currently running a PC w/ a 2.8 Ghz Duo Core processor. Also. adding a second or third hard-drive will make your system more efficient.

Cheers,

Joe.
chefmike8888

Post by chefmike8888 »

Thanks Joe, I'm running 1.66 GHz dual core and 1 GB RAM, the other day I had 4 gogs open and was having trouble. I have an external Hard Drive that should be here this week, It's only 250 GB but hopefully it'll be enough to help. Mike :roll:
Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim »

Depending on which triggering mode you choose in Drumagog, you can usually get 5-6 Drumagogs to run in a Ableton Live setup with a 3Ghz dual core CPU. Also, a lot depends on the polyphony settings in Drumagog, and the size of the gog files being used (for example long cymbal samples).

Best Regards,
Rim Buntinas
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
guitarweirdo

Post by guitarweirdo »

I was curious about this too. I have 1 Gig of ram and a duo core. I ran into problems when I had 6 drumagogs in Cubase SL3. Two of the tracks (the overheads) where simply receiving ducking information from the snare track. I would hear drumagog working, but when I tried to open the interface window, the drumagog window was partially blank (meaning I couldn't make any changes). I removed Drumagog from the overheads, and the problem went away.
Given Joey's response, I may purchase another gig of RAM to see if that helps.
joey_capps

Post by joey_capps »

guitarweirdo wrote:I was curious about this too. I have 1 Gig of ram and a duo core. I ran into problems when I had 6 drumagogs in Cubase SL3. Two of the tracks (the overheads) where simply receiving ducking information from the snare track. I would hear drumagog working, but when I tried to open the interface window, the drumagog window was partially blank (meaning I couldn't make any changes). I removed Drumagog from the overheads, and the problem went away.
Given Joey's response, I may purchase another gig of RAM to see if that helps.
Same sort of thing happened to me--part of the screen blank, unable to change samples, etc. The extra RAM took care of everything. Another benifit with the extra RAM is that it reduces chances of your system using your harddrive as RAM (i.e, virtual memory), and my harddisk transfer rate meter barely flickers anymore.
xcuttherugx

Post by xcuttherugx »

maybe its just me but i started using the fixed latency version, and haven't had trouble since.