Another triggering problem

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

bazement

Post by bazement »

Hi everybody,
I own drumagog for a while, as far as I can say it is the best triggering machine I ever used. But I have a little problem: let's say seven bassdrums are perfect in time, the eight's bassdrum is a little early or late (fixed latency mode). It can be also the fifth or the the sixth bassdrum, you´ll never know. I checked it with an audio file I created from a track drumagog was inserted to. I have to move the bounced track (compared to the original bassdrum) a few ticks anyway, that's not the problem. It definitly drives me crazy sometimes. It never happens with a snare track, it just happens with a bassdrumtrack. I have to bounce the bassdrumtrack and edit it manually, and that's a point when you have to prepare a whole DVD-production which is 110 minutes long.

Can I get rid of this ? :?:

G5 Dual 1.8 GHz, Mac OS-X 10.4.8, DP 5.11, Drumagog 4.09
Teri
Site Admin

Post by Teri »

Hello,

Have you tried enabling Auto-Align and setting it for Bass Drums/General Use?

Is seems like you are working with multiple bass drums. How do you have your session configured (how many tracks, etc.?). BTW, how much RAM does your G5 have? This could also be affecting Drumagog's performance.
Teri Grossheim
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
bazement

Post by bazement »

Yes, auto-align is checked, bassdrum/general use setting is checked, I tried also the psycho-acustical / actual peak setting, to find out that it up to the gog-file i use, which of these settings is working better. Of course, I´m in advanced mode. Before i found out, that the psycho-acustical / actual peak setting is that important, I triggered the bassdrum always in live-mode, that seemed a bit tighter that the advanced mode.

I work most times with one bassdrum track, which is played with a double pedal. So the gogfiles I use (I create gogfiles always by myself) contain three to seven bassdrumsamples.

Recently I had a drumrecording with two independant double bassdrum tracks. I found out, that drumagog works tighter if I leave the bassdrumtracks independant (no merging of two bassdrumtracks into one bassdrumtrack.). Drumagog works also tighter if the bassdrum tracks are just a long single soundbite. It seems no good idea to leave a bassdrum tracks edited into pieces.

Most of my DP-projekts have a lot of tracks, something like 40 up to 50. I have 3 GB of RAM installed. DP's performance window displays most times not more than 50 or 60 percent of usage.

Is it probably a good idea to turn of the automatic conversion option, if the sample rate matches anyway ? :?:
dropking

Same here!!

Post by dropking »

I have a G5 1,5gig Ram, Pro Tools 7.31CS5 and the same problem..also with snares...
Teri
Site Admin

Post by Teri »

Before i found out, that the psycho-acustical / actual peak setting is that important, I triggered the bassdrum always in live-mode, that seemed a bit tighter that the advanced mode
Since advanced mode uses more processor/RAM than live mode, this is possible.
Recently I had a drumrecording with two independant double bassdrum tracks. I found out, that drumagog works tighter if I leave the bassdrumtracks independant (no merging of two bassdrumtracks into one bassdrumtrack.). Drumagog works also tighter if the bassdrum tracks are just a long single soundbite. It seems no good idea to leave a bassdrum tracks edited into pieces.
Right. Drumagog uses audio or MIDI to trigger. The more isolated this is, Drumagog will trigger more precise.
I have a G5 1,5gig Ram, Pro Tools 7.31CS5 and the same problem..also with snares...
Have you tried enabling AutoAlign and selecting "optimize for: snare drum"? Also try what bazement was suggesting (isolation, live mode, etc.)?[/quote]
Teri Grossheim
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
bazement

Post by bazement »

Auto align was active all the time. But I tried (for the bassdrumtrack) the Snare setting instead the bassdrum/general use setting, and I couldn't believe it: it is far better, or in other words, it is really tight. How can this be ? :P
Teri
Site Admin

Post by Teri »

bazement wrote:Auto align was active all the time. But I tried (for the bassdrumtrack) the Snare setting instead the bassdrum/general use setting, and I couldn't believe it: it is far better, or in other words, it is really tight. How can this be ? :P
I understand that this can seem confusing. The two Auto Align settings use different alogrithms. Perhaps the snare setting was able to better match the orignal bass drum audio. Since a bass drum track is never universal, it is important to experiment with Drumagpg's setting to determine what works best for your situation.
Teri Grossheim
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.