Drumagog PT9 midi

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

dougfuryinc

Drumagog PT9 midi

Post by dougfuryinc »

Hi, this is regarding drumagog 4.

I've just upgraded to pro tools 9 and I'm not able to get drumagog to work with midi in general.

first off i seem to get it triggering samples at the beginning of a midi note and again when the note ends. this gives me double hits. i can see it trigger both samples but it will play the midi off info intermittently.

i thought it may be corrupt midi info so i tried to put drumagog on a snare track and have it spit midi out that
i would record in on another midi track. it won't send midi to my midi track however.

any suggestions?
thanks,
doug
dougfuryinc

Re: Drumagog PT9 midi

Post by dougfuryinc »

ok ive figured out the second half. i have to use a midi pipe.

but the issue of triggering at note on and off is still puzzling. when i set up my midi controller it lights up a sample box on the "samples" section when i put the key down and again when i release it. i don't hear the release but it lights up.

hearing the release is intermittent though and i've been hearing it pop up as a double hit. is there and way to make the note a single hit?

thanks.
doug
Jack
Expert

Post by Jack »

If you strip out the note Off messages you should be fine. Drum's don't usually require a note off message.

As you have just updated to Pro Tools 9, you may need to unlock Drumagog as it requires a new unlock code whenever you update your OS or DAW. It is likely running in demo mode now. To download the latest update 4.11 and obtain a new unlock code, visit your account at www.drumagog.com. The unlock page is in the Support section.

Cheers,
Jack
Jack Goodall
WaveMachine Labs
http://www.drumagog.com
dougfuryinc

Post by dougfuryinc »

thanks Jack,
Do you by any chance know how I'd strip that midi info away in PT9? Where do I find the note on / off midi?

As well, I've already got the new code happening etc so I'm out of demo mode.
thanks for your help!
Doug
Jack
Expert

Post by Jack »

Doug,

We're trying to recreate this in the office, but haven't been able to find a synth or virtual instrument that triggers on an Off Note message. However just going through some of the built-in Pro Tools options, our suggestion would be to use the Pro Tools "Change Duration" option to make the whole MIDI track's note 0.001 tick in length.

If you could tell us what synth or instrument that's retriggering on an Off note message, please let us know because we'd like to be able to see this happen here.

Cheers,
Jack
Jack Goodall
WaveMachine Labs
dougfuryinc

Post by dougfuryinc »

I've got an m-audio O2 controller and I'm using protools 9.0.3 with Drumagog 4. Mac OSX 10.6.6

When I press C3 i see the sample light up and hear it as well. When I release the key I see another sample light up (in the lowest dynamic group) but I don't hear it. However when I get a moderately busy midi pattern it will start to misfire. Extend the midi note length (to exaggerate being able to see the two samples hit) and you should see it.

This also happens if I just draw the midi note in on the midi track. I see the sample light up at the beginning of the note and then a quiet hit happens at the end of the midi note.

Does this help?

Doug
dougfuryinc

Post by dougfuryinc »

FYI - I just went back to PT 9.0.0 and the same issue still happens.
thanks Jack!
Doug
Jack
Expert

Post by Jack »

Doug,

Thanks, we confirmed this on our end. We tried creating a track with MIDI notes that have a longer duration, and Drumagog did not react well to MIDI notes with duration.

The fix is exactly the same as what we mentioned earlier: change MIDI note duration in Pro Tools so that the tick to 0.001.

Cheers,
Jack
Jack Goodall
WaveMachine Labs
dougfuryinc

Post by dougfuryinc »

cool thanks for that Jack!
Doug