Topic Split - Pro Tools LE delay compensation

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

B.A.M.S

Topic Split - Pro Tools LE delay compensation

Post by B.A.M.S »

currently working with drumagog 5.0 platinum as well

this refers to the delay compensation in protools 8

I read above in the forum and other forums about people bouncing down then re inserting that track and nudging.

I guess my question is , I would insert drumagog on the kick track , then use the shift time tool to nudge the entire track back 3840 samples earlier (which is the amount of delay stated on the protools interface fader) I am hearing flamming and such things clean up and sonically matched my OH's. is this the wrong way ? Also I purchased the plugin from MellowMuse - MellowMuse ATA or auto time adjuster , which allows you to insert the plugin across all tracks and also on the master fader, hit the ping and its supposed to correct each track across the mix

is anyone using these tools and methods.

Also I see more and more discussions across the net about the live mode being more accurate than advanced mode , regardless I still havent been able to get drumagog to replicate properly , no matter how much I tweak the sensitivity , transient detail ect.... its still missing entire notes or misfiring bad notes - at the moment im waiting on a set of actual triggers , and hoping that will give me a better trigger source for drumagog to read.

one last question , is it common to have to manually edit and fix missed or misfired hits throughout a mix. or is it possible to get the perfect threshold settings with sensitivity to where its a plug and play type thing. obviously im just being lazy becuase I dont know how to use beat detective , quantize or any of that.
Matt W
Expert

Re: Topic Split - Pro Tools LE delay compensation

Post by Matt W »

*Edit* Post split from other thread as it was a slightly different issue than what was discussed in that thread

Hello,

Without delay compensation you either need to move your source track earlier in time, or bounce your track and move that one earlier. The exact amount to move it is based on how much internal latency Drumagog has (the default setting is 80ms, you can find it in Drumagog 5's Settings page). The 3840 samples number would be 80ms at 48k, so that's right (if you are using a 48k project!)

The MellowMuse plugin basically just automates this process, and is usually helpful if you have a lot of latency-based plugins running. We haven't used it ourselves very much, but the results should be identical.

Regarding accuracy, Live Mode is not more accurate overall. It can do better with extremely fast parts (where hits happen every 50ms or quicker) in not missing hits, but the alignment side is much less accurate than Advanced mode (by necessity. The 3-4 ms of latency is not enough time to do any sort of complex alignment). Most people have the best results in Advanced mode.

Regarding your last question, every project is different, and can depend on many different factors. Since you have the Platinum version you can try if switching between Auto Align 2 and Transient modes make a difference (by clicking the Auto Align 2 button on and off), or in other cases it's bleed from other parts making it harder for Drumagog to correctly trigger (so you'd need to use the Trigger filter to eliminate extraneous input).

Lastly, if there's a certain track (or section of a track) that you can't get Drumagog 5 to accurately trigger/align with, please email us both a snippet of the source track along with the sample/gog you are trying to use. This way we can look at it ourselves and see if the algorithms need any tweaking.
Matthew Werner
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
www.drumagog.com