Using Midi Out Function in D5 and Sonar 8 -

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

mistrbigg

Using Midi Out Function in D5 and Sonar 8 -

Post by mistrbigg »

First off I want to say what an absolutely incredible program Drumagog 5 is...i have the plugins section working like a charm now and i cant wait to test out the hi hat tracking.

I did have to fuddle around with my midi settings to get the plugins to work though, and in this case what i ended up doing, was going into the sonar 8 midi options and deselecting all but the midi interface i was using (in this case a midisport 1x1). once i restarted the program and loaded the plugins (i have both addictive drums and all the abbey road kits for kontakt) they worked like a charm once i set the note correctly..and the quality is astounding. not to toot my own horn too much, but im a VERY good drummer that ghosts a lot and d5 picks up ALL my snare ghosting perfectly now when recorded correctly, where i REALLY had to screw with it in d4 to get it to sound natural, or just manually set the trigger points, or in some casing dum down my playing if i didnt have a snare on hand that i loved the sound of that day.

Now i would love to send the signal out of drumagog to a midi channel within sonar 8 to record the note and velocity as midi, but i just cant seem to get it to work. Ive noticed that it doesnt matter that i deselected all but the midisport in my sonar midi settings (i have a creative card with mid i/o as well) it still lets me select the creative synth as an option under the midi out in drumagog. in midi out, it lists internal - creative synth a and b - wavesynth 0 and 1 - and the midisport 1x1 out as selectable options even if in sonar i have only selected one, then underneath it lets me set channel and note. i have tried channels 1-9 and notes d1(38) through to the next octave up one at a time, while syncing a new midi channel in the channel view along with the in on the midi channel in sonar to the same thing that the drumagog out lists each time...example if i set drumagog out to midisport 1x1 channel 1 note d1, and match that to a midi channel in sonar set to midi sport 1x1 in channel 1 note d1, shouldnt that channel record a d when i set it too assuming the note triggers? when doing this i hear the sample play perfectly, but it just seems like it isnt sending any midi data out at all to the midi track within sonar.

any help getting the midi out of drumagog 5 working to a midi in channel within sonar 8 would be sweet. theres a nice set of drum grooves in it for anyone that can figure this out with/for me.

thanks
Matt W
Expert

Re: Using Midi Out Function in D5 and Sonar 8 -

Post by Matt W »

Hello,

The complication when using SONAR and Drumagog's MIDI out is that SONAR does not support audio plugins (like Drumagog) sending MIDI, and it gives no way to route the signal internally. However you can still accomplish this by using a third-party MIDI utility, like MIDI Yoke (http://www.midiox.com/myoke.htm). This utility adds a virtual MIDI interface that will essentially allow you to "loopback" your MIDI signal from Drumagog to a MIDI track.

After installing MIDI Yoke, you would want to setup the following:

Enable Drumagog's MIDI out, and set the OUT to MIDI Yoke (set the channel/note however you like)
Set a blank MIDI track's input to MIDI Yoke, and record enable it.

When you press play you should see MIDI signal arriving at the MIDI track.

I am also including a screenshot of this setup, where you can see both Drumagog's MIDI out settings and SONAR's MIDI track settings. It's not version 8, but the setup will be the same.
Attachments
SONAR_MIDI.jpg
SONAR_MIDI.jpg (286.76 KiB) Viewed 5939 times
Matthew Werner
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
www.drumagog.com
mistrbigg

Post by mistrbigg »

looks VERY encouraging! hopefully i can get these to work in windows 7 by using the xp drivers.

thanks for the reply.
mistrbigg

Post by mistrbigg »

unfortunately.. midi yoke does not function in sonar 8 64 bit.. it does install into windows 7 64.. but only as 32 bit.

the kick ass news is... the loopbe1 DOES WORK!

let the games begin.. hehe.

ill be testing this stuff out on native instruments abbey road drums first.. then go to the other apps.

i am curious if the midi tracking will work if i run midi out i.e. .. will it record and now when to open the hats and such.. probably not i'm assuming.. unless i use drumagog alone for my hats (there are some pretty dang nice samples in the library).

after doing all this i did make a realization in my new studio.. for my personal stuff.. i totally dont even need dm5 lol the acoustics in here own. maybe switching up a snare here or there will give my album im workin on some different flavor..

thanks again for all the help