D5 still crashing Nuendo 7 PC and other problems

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

neilwilkes
Expert

D5 still crashing Nuendo 7 PC and other problems

Post by neilwilkes »

Latest build of Nuendo
Latest build of D5
Even using the D5 library I get crashes with multiple instances of D5. My personal best is 4 instances before initializing a 5th one triggers an immediate crash to desktop, and a lot of the time this will happen with only 2 instances when loading a saved project.
This version (64-bit) has simply never, ever worked stably for me at all.

Further problems.
I still cannot get it to trigger a plugin or an instrument. I set the output MIDI of D5 to the same channel (or omni) of BFD3 and I get nada.
I guess I will need to go to the tutorial video & try to discover where the learn function is but the main reason I have so far not bothered is because it is just too unstable to set up a full kit with triggers. Freezing each channel is not a workaround that is acceptable either - this prevents me mixing in even close to an intuitive form as to my workflow I simply cannot just load a kick drum and freeze it until I have the whole mix up, and if I could get that far without triggering then why trigger anyway?

This issue has been dragging on for years now and it is honestly time we had a fix as right now I feel this tool just is not fit for purpose. Sorry, but that is how I feel about it
Nuendo 5, 5.5 & 6 and Cubase 6,7 & 7.5 with WK-ID Controller.
Fully 64-bit Intel Xeon E5-2687W 8-Core CPU with 32GB Quad Channel RAM
Adam A7 x 5, RME RayDAT 1 into 2 RME ADI-8 DS, Tascam DA-88 to RME ADI-8.
Corey W
Expert

Re: D5 still crashing Nuendo 7 PC and other problems

Post by Corey W »

Hi Neil,
We have discussed this a lot throughout the months/years now and I am sorry that Drumagog 5 is and always has been so unstable for you.
Unfortunately the behavior you're mentioning doesn't fit the majority of users. I know there are quite a few with the same issues who post on this forum and we hear all of your complaints and issues and we do care, very much so in fact.

PC computers are difficult, in the fact that there are so many different models using so many different components. Things are going to happen from machine to machine and it is almost impossible (with a CPU intensive software plugin) to support every machine to 100% stability.

My test PC here in the shop is a (very un-optomized) $400 Dell computer. I have tested Pro Tools 12.6, Cubase 8.5 and 9, Sonar Platinum and Samplitude Pro X3 with Drumagog 5 64bit. I use a K-Mix interface running very track and plugin heavy sessions at 24/44.1 with a 64 sample buffer. I inserted 4 instances of Drumagog 5 and even went as far as to turn on the convolution reverb and synth (which both eat up a lot more CPU) on each instance and the session played back without a hitch on a 10 min loop.

Regarding the plugin hosting- this is being looked at by the developer right now and we will have an update out fixing this soon (for real this time).