Windows 64 bit problem

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

FinnArild
Expert

Windows 64 bit problem

Post by FinnArild »

It doesn't show up any more in cubase 64 bit. I checked my install folders and the plugin dll is there, but not loading.
FinnArild
Expert

Re: Windows 64 bit problem

Post by FinnArild »

Update: I did an update in cubase plug-in manager, then it loads and shows in the plug-in list.However, when I tried to open a project previously using Drumagog, it spectacularly crashed. Restarting and opening cubase again has the same effect, Drumagog 5 now crashes all my projects where I previously have used the jbridged version. This is pretty fucked up, guys!
emwhy

Post by emwhy »

Is it possible the Drumagog is still trying to load with jBridge? I had a similar problem in SONAR, where the 64 bit version was attempting to load as wrapped vst. I had to uncheck the jBridge option in SONAR's vst manager.
FinnArild
Expert

Post by FinnArild »

I have removed all jBridge related stuff totally. When I start a new project I can add drumagog fine, but when I try opening my old projects - which I now tried removing drumagog from by disabling the plugin, removing the insert and then reloading the plugin again - it fails.

This is my next album we're talking about here - if Drumagog breaks it, It's not gonna be pretty.
FinnArild
Expert

Post by FinnArild »

I'm attaching the cubase dump file. It looks binary and I can't make any sense of it, but if someone can I will be very happy. Free CDs happy.

EDIT: I was not able to upload it due to file extension restrictions. If someone will receive the file from me by e-mail I'll be just as happy.
FinnArild
Expert

Post by FinnArild »

I have figured out that Drumagog 64 bit doesn't play nice with Halion 5. I can uload Halion 5, load Drumagog then re-load halion 5 - but if I save and reload the project it's back to uglycrash. It indicates you have problems with the memoryspace.
FinnArild
Expert

Post by FinnArild »

So - should I go with Slate Digital trigger or SPL Drumxchanger now that Drumagog so obviously can't cut the curd? Opinions?
Chris M
Expert

Post by Chris M »

It sounds like your old sessions got saved with a crashed Drumagog instantiated. The best thing to do would be open the projects with plugins disabled, remove all instances of Drumagog, do a "Save As..." to save a new copy of Drumagog, and then re-add Drumagog. This should remove the crashed versions of Drumagog and you won't keep recalling them when opening your saved projects.

Best,

Chris
WaveMachine Labs
FinnArild
Expert

Post by FinnArild »

Nope, it's not that. I have started a new project, loaded Halion 5 with some instruments and then Drumagog. Same crash. Drumagog 64 bit is broken.
Scramble
Expert

Post by Scramble »

I had a similar problem with the Best Service sample engine in a Cubase 7.5 64-bit project yesterday (on Windows 7). Drumagog would crash if it was loaded when the Best Service engine was loaded (and that engine was working fine), but would work if I removed the Best Service engine beforehand. (It had no problem with Kontakt 5 also being loaded.)

However, today I have started a fresh project, and I loaded the Best Service engine, loaded a library, then inserted Drumagog onto an empty audio track, and there was no crash.

I also tried Halion 3, then Drumagog, in a fresh project, also no problem (I don't have Halion 5 to try).
FinnArild
Expert

Post by FinnArild »

Yes, this is a typical memory-space related issue where Drumagog doesn't manage it's memory properly and stands in danger of overwriting memory in use - causing uglycrash. I would not recommend anyone to use Drumagog 64 bit on windows until this is confirmed fixed, even though you so far seem to run it without problem. It only takes 1 crash to ruin that perfect take.
neilwilkes
Expert

Post by neilwilkes »

Did you check the installer?
If we are talking about 5.2.1 (and from memory 5.2) then the 64-bit PC installer loads into the 32-bit shared VST plugin folder, not the 64-bit one.

I would uninstall both 64 & 32 bit versions & rerun the installer - look carefully before hitting "next" automatically.
Nuendo 5, 5.5 & 6 and Cubase 6,7 & 7.5 with WK-ID Controller.
Fully 64-bit Intel Xeon E5-2687W 8-Core CPU with 32GB Quad Channel RAM
Adam A7 x 5, RME RayDAT 1 into 2 RME ADI-8 DS, Tascam DA-88 to RME ADI-8.
FinnArild
Expert

Post by FinnArild »

I of course uninstalled everything before re-installing.
neilwilkes
Expert

Post by neilwilkes »

FinnArild wrote:I of course uninstalled everything before re-installing.
Sorry if I caused inadvertent confusion - I did not mean uninstalling the previous version but to check where the installer tries to put the new install - on my setup it tried to install the 64-bit plugin into the 32-bit plugin folder. I switched to the correct location manually as default did not get it right.
Can you uninstall again, clear registry, and then delete the following cubase XML files:
C:/Users/<username>/AppData/Roaming/Steinberg/Cubase x/vstPluginfo v2.xml
C:/Users/<username>/AppData/Roaming/Steinberg/Cubase x/vst2xPlugins Cubase.xml
As Drumagog is not VST3 we do not need to worry about the defaults.XML file and deleting both these (and whilst you are there, delete the blacklist too) will force a full, new rescan and also delete any cached references to an older or incorrectly located version.

I would also at this point think about organizing your plugin folders so that Cubase cannot point to both 64 & 32-bit versions of the same plugin as this can easily spoil your day quite dramatically and may well be the cause of these issues. This really is important & if you need suggestions I will be happy to tell you how I have mine sorted.

Now re-install Drumagog 5.2.1 (and please check the suggested install paths the installer gives you - 64-bit was wrong here and had to be set manually as it tried to install into a 32-bit location) and when all is done relaunch Cubase.
It will take a while, as every plugin will get rescanned and no VST2 paths except the default ones will be pointed in "Plugin Information" - those will have to be added back manually & rescanned again.

This should clear up your issue.
Nuendo 5, 5.5 & 6 and Cubase 6,7 & 7.5 with WK-ID Controller.
Fully 64-bit Intel Xeon E5-2687W 8-Core CPU with 32GB Quad Channel RAM
Adam A7 x 5, RME RayDAT 1 into 2 RME ADI-8 DS, Tascam DA-88 to RME ADI-8.
FinnArild
Expert

Post by FinnArild »

I went through all this again and tried installing the 5.21 - but it's the same error. Interestingly I noticed it together with E/W Play too - when I had the Platinium Piano loaded. It seems Drumagog 64 bit chokes with everything that is slightly memory intensive - which strengthens my theory that there are unchecked pointers sitting around somewhere in some old, buggy Drumagog code that no-one understands any more (I am a coder too, you know).

Pity - it could be good software, but now it just can't be trusted.