Suggestion for Kick/snare

An informational and support forum for Voice Band for the iPhone.

Moderator: Corey W

catvoice

Suggestion for Kick/snare

Post by catvoice »

Im loving this app so far but I think the kick/snare functionality could be greatly improved.

Instead of a loud/soft sound for each instrument, why not make the kick a "buh" sound and the snare a "tsk" sound...As emulated in this app http://appshopper.com/games/bchamp

Ive been using the "bah" and "tsk" sounds in voiceband and it almost works better than making loud/soft noises.

It seems way more natural to make the instrument sounds rather than loudness.

Im also waiting for the autotune functionality on the voice! :D
sebastianrenix

Re: Suggestion for Kick/snare

Post by sebastianrenix »

catvoice wrote:Im loving this app so far but I think the kick/snare functionality could be greatly improved.

Instead of a loud/soft sound for each instrument, why not make the kick a "buh" sound and the snare a "tsk" sound...As emulated in this app http://appshopper.com/games/bchamp

Ive been using the "bah" and "tsk" sounds in voiceband and it almost works better than making loud/soft noises.

It seems way more natural to make the instrument sounds rather than loudness.

Im also waiting for the autotune functionality on the voice! :D
Catvoice, I've done a little audio signal processing and from what I've learned, everybody's "bah" and "tsk" will be different and it is also very very hard to track the waveforms of specific vocal sounds. It is way easier to track amplitude (less complicated algorithms are needed), plus amplitude is a variable that everybody can match, even if it does take a little practice and finesse.
Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim »

We have studied this and found it to be true. It takes a bit of practice to be able to lay down good tracks, but it's possible. Some tips:

1. Don't sing into the mic. If you're using the iPhone's built-in mic, sing into the SCREEN of the phone (the touchscreen), not the mic. Singing into the screen creates the perfect signal level (the best spacing is 3-4 inches away from the screen).

2. Concentrate on singing a soft note for the bass drum. Once the music starts, it's easy to slip into singing louder, but try not to...

3. Set the drum threshold slider almost all the way to the right (between 95-99% to the right). This is the setting that works best for me.

Remember, you don't need to lay down both kick and snare in the same take. If you move the drum threshold slider to the extreme left or right, Voice Band will always play a kick or a snare. This way, you can do them separately.

Rim
espearce

Post by espearce »

I found putting the iphone near a table top and striking the table with my hand to produce the sound works well in laying down the drum tracks.