iGOG doesn't work with Apple Headphones

Discussions regarding iGOG for the iPhone

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

joined_today

iGOG doesn't work with Apple Headphones

Post by joined_today »

I can't use the headphones that came with my iPhone. I get this message:

This is an 8gb iPhone 3g with 3.1.2 firmware. I just purchased the app 10 minutes ago.

Thanks in advance.

*EDIT*

This post has been viewed a bit, but no additional posts. I'm basicly wanting to know if there is a patch released, or going to be released that will allow the Apple headphones to work with this app. I don't feel it's fair, or necessary, to carry 2 sets of headphones for this app - my Apple set with a built-in mic, and a regular set w/o a mic. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Rim
Site Admin

Re: iGOG doesn't work with Apple Headphones

Post by Rim »

Hi,

iGOG uses the microphone to detect how hard you hit the pads. Since the headphones that come with the iPhone have a built-in mic, it's not possible to use them with iGOG. The reason for this is because when you plug them in, the iPhone uses the microphone inside these headphones instead of the microphone in the iPhone itself, and detecting velocity is now impossible (since iGOG can't "hear" how hard you hit the pads). Most iPhone apps work fine with either headphones or headsets, but since we're doing something rather unique, this is a hardware limitation we're stuck with.

Rim
joined_today

Post by joined_today »

Since mic trigger mode only works with one drum/cymbal at a time, it would be useful for everyone not wanting to buy a scond set of headphones to be able to use the ones that came with their phone. If I turn off VelAUcity tracking, that should in theory let me use the Apple headset, since the app would no longer rely on "hearing". As of this writing, and when I purchased this app, there is no mention in the description that the Apple headset, or any headset with a built-in mic won't work. I'd prefer to get my money back if there isn't a plan to implement the app to work with stock hardware. Thanks.

This is still a great piece of code, just not what I expected (additional expenses to enjoy). I plan on giving a good review in the next few days on iTunes.
Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim »

That's actually a good idea, we'll implement it in the next update. It makes sense to allow headsets if VelAUcity mode is turned off.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Rim
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

This is a MUST for me!
douglas

Post by douglas »

Pretty frustrated with that limitation. Personally I thought you were measuring sensitivity by how far/fast the finger contact spread out from initial contact with the screen. (A faster finger is going to spread further). So, while I now understand that you're using the mic, I would have liked to have know before purchasing that this app was not going to function with the std iPhone headset.
Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim »

douglas,

There's no way to determine how far the finger is spread on the screen, as Apple does not make this information available to developers. However, you'll be happy to know that I've enabled headsets in the next iGOG update. It should work fine with your Apple headset now. The update has already been submitted, so I'm just waiting for it to be approved by Apple at this point.

Thanks,
Rim
douglas

Post by douglas »

That does sound encouraging. I'm also looking forward to seeing the other changes you've put into that version. Great concept. I hope it comes together nicely.

Douglas
benfegore

Post by benfegore »

Thanks for raising this matter, this might be good to have explained in the error message... I actually was able to use iGog after purchase with the Apple mic headset and only later after restarting the app a couple of times, did it refuse to work.

Very confusing, however I have got some old non mic headphones so it's no big deal, from what I have seen so far it's a great piece of software...
labiteena

Post by labiteena »

How can I get something out of my ipod shuffle headphone jack? I have an ipod shuffle. I recently broke my dock by standing on it. When I tried to put the ipod onto the dock, a piece of the headphone jack broke off inside the ipod and it's stuck inside. Is there a way I can get it out?