iGOG and the 2G iPhone

Discussions regarding iGOG for the iPhone

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

dmanthei

iGOG and the 2G iPhone

Post by dmanthei »

I was alerted to your iGOG App by the Engadget article, and after watching the youtube videos it looks absolutely amazing.

On the App page, it mentions that a version compatible with the first gen iPhone is in the works.

Do you have any idea of the time-frame for its arrival?

Is it currently not supported due to too strenuous of processor/memory requirements?

Rim
Site Admin

Re: iGOG and the 2G iPhone

Post by Rim »

2G support is planned for the next update, which we're submitting next week (it takes Apple a little time to approve updates, though).

Regards,
Rim
MtnXfreeride

Post by MtnXfreeride »

The iphone and iphone 3G have the same processor and memory as far as I know. Only the 3GS has a new processor.
Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim »

Right, but for some strange reason the audio is handled differently in 2G vs 3G/3GS. Users are having intermittent issues with the audio on 2G devices. It's something we're going to find and fix this coming week, but in the mean time, we're playing it safe by letting people know to hold off if they have a 2G device.

Regards,
Rim
Anjinsan

Post by Anjinsan »

Any news on when the update to get iGOG to work on the 2G is to be released?
Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim »

This has been fixed and already submitted to Apple on Wednesday. It usually takes them 2-3 weeks to approve an update, so it will go live then.

The way I solved the issue was this: If you want to use VelAUcity or mic triggering mode on a 2G, you need to use a headset. The reason for this is because the 2G iPhone has a maximum sample rate of 8Khz if you're using the built-in mic. If you're using a headset with a mic, any sample rate will work, so that's not a problem.

So, here's how it will work:

- If you don't need to use VelAUcity or mic triggering modes: simply use the 2G iPhone as is (or with a pair of regular headphones).
- If you want to use VelAUcity or mic triggering mode, plug in the headset that came with your phone (the white Apple one).

3G and 3GS iPhones don't have any issues with the sample rate.

Thanks,
Rim
dmanthei

Post by dmanthei »

So this means that the mic-triggering of "VelAUcity" stuff will be sampled through the headset's mic?

Does it still work as slickly as the demonstration videos with the 3G and 3GS?
It seems like it could be poorer performance due to the distances involved.

Thanks.
Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim »

Actually, it works remarkably well, in both mic triggering, and in VelAUcity mode. Keep in mind that the technology behind this comes from Drumagog, and is designed to be used with all kinds of microphones, in all kinds of scenarios. We actually mic'd up a kit made of pots and pans at a few tradeshows and it triggered well ;)

Rim
dmanthei

Post by dmanthei »

Sweet deal.

If I buy the app now,
I can upgrade to the fully-functional one once the update goes through Apple, right?

I'm excited. :-D
Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim »

yes, the upgrades are always free. Just so you know, currently you won't get any audio at all in iGOG with a 2G...

Thanks,
Rim
dmanthei

Post by dmanthei »

Oh, not at all? I thought it would just have disabled microphone-enhanced inputs,
so you could still drum on the pads on the screen, just without velocity sensitivity.

It doesn't work at all at the moment?
Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim »

Exactly, it's not functional at all on a 2G iPhone right now. The update fixes this, and adds the headset support I mentioned...

Rim
Anjinsan

Post by Anjinsan »

Any news on the update or is it stuck in the black hole of appstore?
dmanthei

Post by dmanthei »

For reals, I check it like every other day, and still nothings.
Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim »

Apple doesn't really give us too much to go with... It just says "In review" at this point. It should be any day now, since it's been almost 3 weeks...

Thanks,
Rim