Drummagog5 - Direct Plugin Hosting + MIDI velocities

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

AdamFG

Drummagog5 - Direct Plugin Hosting + MIDI velocities

Post by AdamFG »

Hi,

The new Direct Plugin Hosting feature of Drumagog is intrieging to me as I have recently done quite a bit of drum replacement work with one of the bands that I have recorded for.

When Drumagog is triggering the sounds in the direct hosted drum libraries - is it able to "match" the levels of the drum hits in the chosen library? I used Drumagog to replace a snare drum, and I did this by outputing the snare hits to MIDI (this allowed me to edit and adjust the detected performance) and then used this MIDI to drive DFHS 2.0. To get the replaced snare performance to sound "right", I had to do a lot of MIDI velocity editing - I guess the the sample levels in DFHS are somewhat "weighted" relative to the linear 0-127 of the MIDI velocity. I have a feeling that if I'd chosen another drum library (or even a different snare in the same library), then the final, adjusted velocity levels to get the same "matched" performance would be different.

It would be cool if you could somehow "teach" Drumagog about the library that you're going to be targeting (maybe in a non-destructive way, so it would be easy to switch to a different drum without having to re-detect the peformance)

My preference would always be to output to MIDI, and then use that MIDI to trigger the sounds (rather than the detection and triggering all happening inline, which I would find more restrictive in terms of editing and adjusting the peformance)

Regards,
Adam