Buggy Drumagog vs DrumTracker

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

Scramble
Expert

Buggy Drumagog vs DrumTracker

Post by Scramble »

I'm going to suggest that you really get working on the MIDI/Cubase 4 problem pronto. I ordered EZDrummer a few days ago because I find I never use my BFD samples (and I don't get all I want from the current GOG libraries), and I noticed that ToonTrack have now released their own drum replacement software called DrumTracker. No doubt you're aware of this.

Given that Drumagog isn't working properly with MIDI in Cubase 4 (and is buggy in other latency-related ways too), I don't really have any choice but to order this and start using it. I've happily used Drumagog for a few years now and I'm a big fan of it, but if it isn't doing what I need it to do then of course I will have to look at alternatives. Maybe it won't be as good as Drumagog, and maybe it will have its own bugs, but if I were you I'd want to keep people happy with Drumagog as much as possible. Having this Cubase 4 failure hanging around for so long is not helping.
Teri
Site Admin

Post by Teri »

Scramble,

Thanks for your continuous feedback on Drumagog, and providing information on the issues you've been experiencing with Cubase 4. As always, we take our users' feedback seriously.

As stated in the post on the Problems and Solutions forums, we are looking into the MIDI latency you've experienced with Drumagog and Cubase 4. We've been able to replicate it, and are currently working to find a solution.

I'm sorry Drumagog has provided "buggy" results for you, since it seems you have been a Drumagog user for some time. As with any piece of software, there will be bugs, and I'm sorry this one is affecting your production techniques.

Since there is not much content published about Drumtracker at this point (I've only seen the tutorial, if there is something else out there, feel free to point me in the right direction), I just wanted to clarify the differences between Drumtracker and Drumagog, in an attempt to exemplify Drumagog's strong points.

Our users find Drumagog's ability to work in real-time with audio tracks extremely useful, I'm not sure how content Drumagog users will be with Drumtracker's offline, MIDI only functionality.

Drumagog also has the ability to play the role of a drum synth, which seems to not be the case with Drumtacker. You can use a MIDI controller of your choice to trigger sounds with Drumagog.

It seems Drumtracker only allows users to export standard MIDI files, whereas Drumagog has the flexibility to export both audio and MIDI. We are aware that you've been experiencing trouble with MIDI output in Cubase 4 at this time, which can be resolved with simple manual quantization (in the mix process).

Drumagog and Drumtracker are both classified as "drum replacement" software. Drumagog has the option of choosing between various triggering modes to cater to a user's session, in order to achieve optimal results. For the information I have seen, Drumtracker does not allow users to choose between various algorithms, let alone to dial in the triggering mode (Drumagog's lower latency/higher detail fader in Advanced Tab).

Drumagog's GOG format also allows users to create multisample GOGs, and will randomize the samples for the user automatically. In Drumtracker, it seems this is all programmed manually.

Since your issue revolves around MIDI output, I can understand why Drumtracker is attractive to you. When an issue affects your production process, it can be very frustrating. However, comparing Drumtracker to Drumagog is difficult due to Drumagog's robust features.
Teri Grossheim
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
Scramble
Expert

Post by Scramble »

Good robust response!