How many tracks?

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

spacemanspiff

How many tracks?

Post by spacemanspiff »

Hi guys

I haven't tried Drumagog yet, but it sounds promising this far. my only concern is, that we only have 3, maybe 4 mics for a drumtrack.
so my question:

is it enough to trigger a snare and two toms with only the overheads? the bassdrum would be mic'd separately. my plan is to position the overheads in a way, that the hihat and ride sound good. so the snare and toms won't be very loud.....

thanks
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

Just so it's clear... Drumagog is best used to replace individually recorded drums. That is a kick recorded to a single track, a snare recorded to a single track, each tom recorded to a single track.

You can (I've heard) split up/out a single track with two or more drums recorded -- sounds rather tedious, to me.

For instance, you state that you'll have INDIVIDUAL kick, snare and toms' mics - that'd be FOUR.

These should be recorded to FOUR separate tracks - for the easiest replacement.

You'd then insert a single instance of Drumagog into each of those four tracks and load a corresponding sample.

As far as the cymbas -- that'd be hihat, crash, ride and anything else you have, in your scenario - how you record those is up to you. You seem to indicate that you have only one mic (and I assume one track) for all of this. That could possibly work, if you like ALL the metal (cymbals on one track). Replacing cymbals is difficult with Drumagog (we're waiting for Cymbalagog) and virtually impossible if they are all recorded to one track.

Keep in mind, if your intention is to REPLACE 100% of the original drums' sound, the quality of the mic is not an issue. Drumagog ONLY needs to see an audio impulse. Really, you can use those $10 mics from Guitar Center.

What I do is put my less expensive mics (SM57s) on the drums (cuz I do the 100% replacement routine) and my higher quality mics on the hihat and cymbals. I use three mics for this.

I have found the best final results by KEEPING the original hihat. I do replace the cymbals sometimes (with MIDI) or keep the originals.

Or, you could overdub/replay the hihat and cymbals along with the replaced drums track.

There are a lot of possibilities.
spacemanspiff

Post by spacemanspiff »

thanks for your reply!

well, yes, the kick is mic'd separately, and the i have to condensers as overhead (for the hihat and the ride, which are all cymbals i use). but since the do not record the snare loud enough, i would like to use the (stereo) overheadtrack to trigger snare-samples. it would be great, if the floortom could be triggered as well using the overheadtrack.

the actual problem is, that i only have 4 inputs on my audiointerface, so i cannot mic the snare and the 2 toms at the same time...

anyways, i'll try it the next time we record.

cheers
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

"i would like to use the (stereo) overheadtrack to trigger snare-samples. it would be great, if the floortom could be triggered as well using the overheadtrack."

That's going to be difficult to manage.

I'd suggest upgrading your system to have at least 8 inputs for drums.

1. Kick
2. Snare
3. High Tom
4. Mid Tom
5. Low Tom
6. Hihat
7. Overhead Left
8. Overhead Right

Insert an instance of Drumagog into each of the first five tracks for drum replacing.

You can also insert an instance of Drumagog into the Hihat track to reduce any snare bleed (i.e., use the Ducking feature), if necessary.

Use the overheads for cymbals, room and drumkit ambient noise.