Converting Audio drum files to MIDI

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

bgrichting

Converting Audio drum files to MIDI

Post by bgrichting »

Newbie question: I've read thru some of the articles here and i think Drumagog is the tool i am looking for, but to be certain here are some remaining questions.

I am using ProTools 7.3.1 and Logic 8 on MacOSX. My main purpose is to convert audio (WAV) files with drums to Midi-Tracks, because the tracks i got from my customers usually are not just in need of better sounds but also are not always in time. Therefore i want to convert the audio files to midi tracks to be able to quantize where it's needed.

I have read that drumagog can do this, but i also saw lots of postings about problems and the need to download tools like Midipipe. So how is it going to work now ? Can i just set the output of Drumagog to Midi out and then create a midi-track where i can choose the Midi-Input of Drumagog or do i have to use additional tools to do that ? Will this work on Protools and Logic (8) ?

I will try the demo as well, maybe that will answer some of the questions already but i would be grateful for some help on this decision.

Is there another tool that lets me convert audio files to midi for drum tracks ?

Thanks,
Bertrand
Teri
Site Admin

Post by Teri »

Bertrand,

Drumagog has the ability to create MIDI from audio. This is done in the Advanced Tab with a virtual MIDI cable such as MIDI Pipe (Mac) or MIDI Yoke (PC). Just designate Drumagog's MIDI Output and use MIDI Pipe to route the MIDI information. This process will work in both ProTools and Logic.

I suggest downloading the demo and using the detailed information in the user's manual (PDF download on the download page). The MIDI instructions start on p. 67.

Using MIDI Pipe with Drumagog is tricky. For instance, MIDI Pipe labels its ports backwards. In addition, using consistent channel and note settings are key.

Best Regards,
Teri Grossheim
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
bgrichting

Post by bgrichting »

Hello Teri,

thanks for the info. So this is not as simple as i wanted it to be ;-)

In the meantime i bought Melodyne Cre8 for tuning vocals. This version of Melodyne also has an Audio-to-Midi feature so i might give it a try to convert drum-files to Midi as well. Do you have any experience using Melodyne for this ?

Regards,
Bertrand
Teri
Site Admin

Post by Teri »

Bertrand,

Sorry, I don't have much experience with Melodyne products. Perhaps someone else on the forum does and they will reply. Otherwise check their forum.

Best Regards,
Teri Grossheim
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

Bertrand,

Since you are using Pro Tools, you already have the best tool for quantizing drums (or any audio). It's BeatDetective.

Take your multitracked drums and use BeatDetective to quantize.

Next, insert an instance of Drumagog for each drum track.

I do this all the time and it works flawlessly - especially the drums.

Cymbals are a different story. I have found that the best results are obtained by using the original hihat and NOT a sequenced hihat. But often you can compose a very convincing hihat part. I use BFD and with all the 'humanizing' features, deep within BFD, you can get a really good and convincing MIDI triggered part.

You will not get good results using Drumagog for hihat tracks, or at least it'll take you forever. Cymbals are usually very easily replaced by writing MIDI tracks. I suppose you could use Drumagog for that though (audio to MIDI), but I have found it to be quite easy to simply insert/write MIDI along with an audio track.

What I do is, by using BeatDetective, slice up the Crash and Ride tracks. Now you have all the points at which you can insert MIDI notes for the Crash and Ride.

Worst case for hihat; rerecord a real hihat track.

With Melodyne, I have taken badly recorded bass, tuned up and converted to the audio to MIDI and used the MIDI to play bass samples via GigaStudio with great results. Melodyne is a great tool.