Optimal setting for capturing snare flams?

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

medievil

Optimal setting for capturing snare flams?

Post by medievil »

Hello.

I'm trying to trigger a snare track with a lot of played flams. At present my settings are such that *most* of the flams are triggering fine but some are missed. It's not the end of the world, but I wanted to check there wasn't a further tweak I could make to improve the flam detection.

I'm in advanced mode, highest detail, and it seems to make no difference if I set resolution to "auto" or the apparent minimum setting of 23ms.
Teri
Site Admin

Post by Teri »

Hello,

I suggest using a combination of Dynamic Tracking and Dynamic Sample Groups when working with snare tracks containing downbeats and flams.

The Dynamic Tracking control, located in the Advanced page, adjusts how well Drumagog tracks the dynamics of the incoming track. At 100%, Drumagog will use exactly the same amplitude for the replaced drum sound as is found in the original drum track. At 0%, the replaced sound is at a constant volume.

You can also work with dyanmic groups within a sample group. A gog file contains several dynamic groups. Each dynamic group is represented as a different color. A dynamic group is a group of samples which are played when Drumagog encounters a drum hit closest in amplitude to the level of that particular group (the levels of each dynamic group are set in the groups view).

By assigning a separate group of samples to the downbeat and flam respectively, in addition to using Dynamic Tracking, the two sample groups create distinct, accurate sounds.

Best Regards,
Teri Grossheim
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
medievil

Post by medievil »

Teri wrote:Hello,

I suggest using a combination of Dynamic Tracking and Dynamic Sample Groups when working with snare tracks containing downbeats and flams.

The Dynamic Tracking control, located in the Advanced page, adjusts how well Drumagog tracks the dynamics of the incoming track. At 100%, Drumagog will use exactly the same amplitude for the replaced drum sound as is found in the original drum track. At 0%, the replaced sound is at a constant volume.

You can also work with dyanmic groups within a sample group. A gog file contains several dynamic groups. Each dynamic group is represented as a different color. A dynamic group is a group of samples which are played when Drumagog encounters a drum hit closest in amplitude to the level of that particular group (the levels of each dynamic group are set in the groups view).

By assigning a separate group of samples to the downbeat and flam respectively, in addition to using Dynamic Tracking, the two sample groups create distinct, accurate sounds.

Best Regards,
Teri Grossheim
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
That's useful information but the problem I'm having isn't one of dynamic tracking, it's that at times only the first stroke of a given snare flam is triggering the sample. The second is missed out completely, possibly because the detail isn't high enough or the time between the strokes is lower than the resolution setting.
YellowMatter
Expert

Post by YellowMatter »

Drumagog really wants to see a CLEAR flam to reproduce the flam with samples. What I do is emphasize the flam... I'll go to the original track, and increase the spikes so they are clearly two big flammed spikes. This is easy to do in Nuendo/Cubase as you can cut the flam in the middle, and destructively fine tune the velocities of the transients. Once you get one that Drumagog likes, copy it over your other flams.
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

Have you lowered the resolution value (the upper right knob) in Drumagog?

You may need to put the flams onto their own track and then lower the resolution in a 2nd instance of Drumagog.

Find out what the time (in milliseconds) between each hit is. Put this value in the resolution window.

Remember, if the resolution value is too high, it won't let the second hit through and trigger a sample.

Also, if the value is too small, you may get some false triggering.