Snare Rolls

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

Lord Scrotum

Snare Rolls

Post by Lord Scrotum »

Hello all,

I've just bought Drumagog basic and am very happy with what it does for the kick drum and for simple, regular snare. My problem is with snare rolls. When I insert DGog it sounds bloody horrible! The dynamic is kind of still there but it doesn't sound authentic and there seem to be beats missing.

I'd be really grateful if somebody could give me some tips on working with more complex, dynamic drumming such as rolls. (Hopefully I don't need to upgrade to Pro, cos I'm pretty skint after spending $200 on the basic version.)

Thanks in advance for any help

Lord Scrotum

MacBook 2,15 1GB Ram, Presonus Firepod,
jared_ectremors

Post by jared_ectremors »

For complicated rolls I usually cut and paste that section of the song onto another track to allow for different settings in drumagog. Make sure your dynamics are turned up a lot and make sure your detail slider is picking up more detail. Also if the original track has very light hits, make sure the gog you're using is appropriate.
Lord Scrotum

snare rolls

Post by Lord Scrotum »

Thanks Jared! Probably a stupid newbie question, but what do you mean with turning up the dynamics?

The song I'm working on is an indie/punk number which has mostly a simple kick/snare pattern but occasionaly the drummer pops in a roll which start with a very quiet hit building to a crescendo. Would it make sense to normalise the rolls and the use Dgog?

Thanks again

Lord Scrotum
Supersonic
Expert

Post by Supersonic »

you could go a few ways:

1.set up another track with the real snare and compress/EQ it so you are getting the sound you want ... when they are real light hits, they tend to blend just fine with the sampled snare up to a certain point... when the body of the snare is more prominent from the harder hits. When you find that point, cut back to the original track and set the dynamics and sensitivity just right and you will get a natural blend of the two.

2. manually edit the track so the hits are easily visible/discernible and then work with the sensitivity and dynamics until it sounds right. If the dynamics are at 75-100% ...the snare will track very close to the original velocity and therefore will sound very realistic with a good sample and a well set dynamics group.

E.
Supersonic Samples @ Drumagog
Heavy Hitters Edition Coming Soon!!!
Lord Scrotum

snare rolls

Post by Lord Scrotum »

Cheers Supersonic - I understand what you mean. I'll be giving it a go this weekend - just as soon as I get a chance to stop working!

All the best

Lord Scrotum
YellowMatter
Expert

Post by YellowMatter »

The Steven Slate Drums sample collection has actual SNARE rolls IN IT. They sound very good.

Check out the demos here:

www.drumagog.com/steven%20slate/dgog1.html
Lord Scrotum

snare rolls - thanks

Post by Lord Scrotum »

Thanks again fellas - I've managed to get a good sounding roll out of D.gog thanks to your tips.

Scrotum