newbie here just finding out about drumagog. :)

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

tempest1226

newbie here just finding out about drumagog. :)

Post by tempest1226 »

hey everyone. Ok you'll have to forgive me but i have some questions about how drumagog works. Total newb at recording and triggering.

1. could i use drumagog with ddrum triggers with an acoustic kit and trigger all the drums into the recording device.

2. can i find, make, and/or buy (stevens for ex.) single hit drums (kicks, snares, cymbals, etc. and make them into samples and use them samples in a midi session and create a whole drums track with them. Kind of the same concept as if you just got a drum machine and penciled in on the midi grid in a protools session all the drums.

Basically let me tell you what im working for and hopefully someone can tell me if im crazy and it will never work, or its easily capable.

I dont have the best place to record. Im younger, living at home and have my recording stuff in my room with an acoustic kit crammed in there. So what im looking to do. Is use drum triggers so my drummer can play his acoustic kit but have it so that thenotes actually going onto the recording session (being triggered) are midi notes on a grid. Or something of that concept. THis is so that i dont have to worry aboutmicing. ANd the ulitmate would be if i could have him play the acoustic kit and have pre mixed samples like stevens, actually being the notes/hits being recorded. Even if it took a lot of time. Im looking for any way of doing this and a explanation of how this process would work from start to end just so i get a better understanding of it. If it is even possible. Sorry about my choice of words. Im really new to this so an explanation would be awesome. Thank you so much for your time everyone.
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

Drumagog will do what you are asking.

Record each trigger into it's own audio track - one each for kick, snare and toms.

I'll assume that you are using real cymbals. I'd suggest getting the best recording as possible and using that along with the replaced drums.

You could replace the cymbals with a bit of work and Drumagog.

If you are using pads for cymbals - just record either the impulses or MIDI.

I STRONGLY suggest using a live hihat. Get yourself a mic and pre and get the best recording possible.

You can fuss forever trying to get a MIDI hihat part. But... in the end, you'll get better results with a real one - even if it's an overdub.

I cannot answer your question about Steven Slate Samples. They lurk around here so maybe they'll provide an answer.

You can use cheap mics on the drums if you want. All you need to get Drumagog to work are audio impulses. I have successfully replaced my then 5 year old's Toys*R*Us drums (with him playing) with Drumagog. He sounds now sounds like John Bonham.

Drumagog comes with a LOT of good samples, by the way.
tempest1226

Post by tempest1226 »

i realized a simple way to ask the second question is this.

How can i convert audio into midi and use the midi notes that i created and pencil them in on the mapping grid.

thats a little easier. And thanks for all the info so far.
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

"How can i convert audio into midi and use the midi notes that i created and pencil them in on the mapping grid."

Drumagog will do that, too.

Start with an audio track (i.e., kick drum), insert Drumagog, adjust the parameters, go to the 'Advance' page, select MIDI out, select Port, select MIDI channel, select MIDI note.

Create an adjacent MIDI track and configure it to receive MIDI from Drumagog.

Start the sequence, press record.

The MIDI from Drumagog is sent to the MIDI track and recorded.

Now you can do any and all the usual MIDI editiing.

After you have all the MIDI tweaked to your liking you can send it back into Drumagog and use thoses sounds or send the MIDI to any other sound device/VSTi.
tempest1226

Post by tempest1226 »

so in doing that, i wouldnt even nessecarily have to have a whole song with say the kick drum already recorded. I could actually just use the adjacent midi track and record a single kick drum hit, then use that midi note and save it and couple and paste it throughout the whole song (as you could do with a normal midi note)
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

It sounds as if you want to make loops or even just a verse section and then copy and paste to make a second verse.

Yes that can be done.

Basically, what Drumagog does is to 'see' the impulses in an audio track and either play its own samples (you can make samples yourself), send out a corresponding MIDI note or interface directly with BFD.

Drumagog 'measures' the amplitude of the incoming audio and outputs a similar MIDI velocity value.

You can use either a trigger or mic. All Drumagog needs to 'see' is an impulse.

You could put triggers on your feet and hands, record those impulses (on to seperate tracks), insert Drumagog, sellect appropriate sounds and have a drumkit.

By the way, you can not only load drum sounds into Drumagog - it can be any sound. Drumagog plays .gog, .aif and .wav files.