Drumagog Platinum w/ 8 Bit Kit? Will it work?

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

beautypill

Drumagog Platinum w/ 8 Bit Kit? Will it work?

Post by beautypill »

I own BFD and the (now deleted) BFD 8Bit Kit add-on library. 8BitKit was a library dedicated to more unusual, lo-fi, treated sounds. Apparently it did not sell well, but I love it.

I currently own the last version of Drumagog before the whole Platinum/BFD update happened. I'm considering upgrading.

What I want to know is: Will Drumagog Platinum be able to address these sounds (which I prefer to the standard library).

Thanks!

--- Chad
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

"I own BFD and the (now deleted) BFD 8Bit Kit add-on library."

I assume you mean the 'now unavailable' BFD 8-bit Kit.

If so, then the answer is yes.

You would need Drumagog Platinum and BFD 1.5 with the LATEST update.
beautypill

Post by beautypill »

zumbido wrote:"I own BFD and the (now deleted) BFD 8Bit Kit add-on library."

I assume you mean the 'now unavailable' BFD 8-bit Kit.

If so, then the answer is yes.

You would need Drumagog Platinum and BFD 1.5 with the LATEST update.
Yes, I meant deleted title from the FXpansion sales catalog. Not deleted from my hard-drive! I guess I shouldn't have used the word "deleted."

Thanks for the advice. I will upgrade to Drumagog Platinum and update my BFD software to the latest version. I'm glad it's useful for something, 'cause I never used it before. I hated the user interface...

Drumagog to the rescue!

-- Chad

p.s. the fact that 8-bit Kit was not popular just shows how different everybody's tastes are. I got BFD ONLY for 8-bit Kit!

:)
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

Just so it is clear to you...

Drumagog Platinum will take PREVIOUSLY recorded drum audio tracks (i.e., real drums) and allow you to directly interface with BFD.

You'll still use the same 'user interface' of BOTH applications - not sure which one you 'hated'.

If you are only interested in having BFD (with the 8-bit kit), you'd probably be better off just composing MIDI tracks. That seems more stylistically appropriate with music that uses the retro drum machine sounds.

But if you want to replace previously recorded drum tracks (multi-tracked drums are best) with 8-bit Kit sounds, then Drumagog Platinum to BFD is the way to go.

Keep in mind, replacing hihats is the most difficult aspect. I've been trying to keep the original hihat as much as possible. I'd think replacing 'real' hihats with 808/909 type hihats will be of the highest order of difficulty - but it can be done.

Hihats are very expressive and the two selections of open and closed offered with older-type drum machines are obviously very limited.

But, that may be the sound you want.
beautypill

Post by beautypill »

i have drumagog and love it. that's what i want: to augment real drums with the sounds from 8-bit kit.

i hated the bfd user interface when i tried it. got annoyed and put it on the shelf.

by the way, the name of 8-bit kit is misleading: the sounds aren't, by and large, electronic. they are kind of Tom Waits-sounding, "found sounds" and treated drums. suits my aesthetic.

thanks for your help.

cheers,
c
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

I wasn't 'dissing' the 8-bit Kit. I have it, too.

I believe you'll be very happy with Drumagog Platinum and BFD/8 Bit Kit.

Don't forget, you'll also be able to load in any .wav or .aif sample INTO Drumagog as well. Or, .gog sample, as well.

And, when you get Drumagog Platinum, be sure to download all the FREE samples from the Drumagog samples' page.