What's the scope of the samples that come with Platinum?

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

HL Studios

What's the scope of the samples that come with Platinum?

Post by HL Studios »

Hi There. Potential purchaser here! I'm a BFD user but I can not get the demo of Drumagog to work with BFD, primarily because I can't get the Drumagog option to show up on the BFD page! I realise this is a BFD issue but I've not been able to get an answer from the FXpansion forum yet and I have a session tomorrow that I may need drumagog on.
Hence the question! :-) Will I cope well with just what comes with drumagog or am I gonna really miss my BFD library? What sort of options come with the platinum download? What else can I download free from this site or other places?
Lastly, just in case I can never get BFD to work, can I buy Pro and upgrade to Platinum later for the extra $90 if I resolve the BFD issue? I've seen reports from users that can use Drumagog with BFD so I'm wondering if it's cause I'm on a Mac with Logic or something like that, but the sessions tomorrow and I really want a solution in place by then! Many Thanks for any help offered,
Gareth
http://www.hlstudios.co.uk
Southampton's Premier Recording Studio
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

What I like to do when I am using samples within Drumagog (such as kick, snare and toms) is to ALSO utilize the ambiance channels of BFD (i.e., overheads, room & PZM channels). I prefer this method over using some reverb effect.

You'll need the Platinum version to incorporate both BFD and sample playback in Drumagog.
HL Studios

Post by HL Studios »

Thanks for the reply. Any comments on the scope of the samples that come with Drumagog? How useable would you say they are without BFD? I'm guessing BFD shows up on your mac system then? Are you using it under Logic? Many Thanks
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

Once you purchase Drumagog, you get access to a 'whole bunch' of samples - kicks, snares, toms (and cymbals I believe).

I have found many to be quite useful.

If you have BFD (no expansion packs) you get 8 or 9 kits (going from memory here). There are quite few more than that with Drumagog and the extra samples. I also have the 'BFD XFL' expansion pack.

With Drumagog and BFD (plus XFL), there are more than plenty. You can also use any .wav or .aif sample in Drumagog or purchase sample libraries specific to Drumagog. I have a bunch of MPC samples for those Reggaeton and Hip-Hop sessions.

If you have the Drumagog version for BFD, yes it shows up when you pull down the instrument list.

I use Drumagog on a PC running Cubase.
Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim »

Make sure that your BFD version is the latest version FXpansion has available on their site (1.5.046 B8 ). Earlier versions won't show the "Drumagog Mode" checkbox.

Best Regards,
Rim Buntinas
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
Last edited by Rim on Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
HL Studios

Post by HL Studios »

Hi Rim,
I have done that and tech support there have confirmed I had the right version installed. They suggested that I had Drumagog installed incorrectly (does the drumagog check box in BFD only show up if Drumagog is "properly" installed?) Back then I had the demo installed which I assume should still work with BFD. Since then however, I have purchased Drumagog pro so I don't know what will happen with BFD now, as Pro does not support BFD. My plan was to use Drumagog yesterday on a session (which I did although I had a few minor problems getting it to trigger correctly - probably my inexperience with it) and then upgrade to Platinum if I could resolve the BFD issue. Any suggestions as to how I can proceed Rim? Many thanks, Gareth
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

If you can figure out how to SEND MIDI from Drumagog Pro you can then utilize BFD. You'll have to deal with a delay, but an offset would fix that.

This is the way it used to be until there was direct connection with BFD.

I can explain how to do it with a PC, as I run Drumagog within Cubase, but not with a Mac.

Sorry.
Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim »

Another thing to check is that you actually have Drumagog Platinum installed. The Pro version won't show the BFD option in the sample folder pull-down, and the "Drumagog Mode" checkbox won't show up in BFD if you only have the Pro version of Drumagog installed.

To check if you have Platinum, look at the top of the Drumagog screen. It should say "Drumagog Platinum". Also, in the about page, you'll see "Drumagog Platinum". The about page is located in the advanced tab.

Best Regards,
Rim Buntinas
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.