Auria Pro on iPad 3...possible?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

jazztastic

Auria Pro on iPad 3...possible?

Post by jazztastic » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:02 pm

I know it might be a foolish question, but wondering if anyone has given it a try...?
Realize that it is recommended for iPad 4 or greater, but just wondering what I could get away with by upgrading for midi purposes.

Thx!

Washboy
Expert

Re: Auria Pro on iPad 3...possible?

Post by Washboy » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:52 pm

It's possible but not officially recommended.

I have an iPad3 and run Auria Pro. A lot of things work very well, some better than in Auria v1.155, but the CPU demands of several new features (e.g. Twin2) can mean that you need to work smart - very smart! :wink:

I would say that if, like me, you plan to upgrade your iPad somewhen soon anyway (and you have $39.99 to spare) then upgrading your Auria Full to Auria Pro beforehand is unlikely to do you any harm. You'll get to experiment with the new features, even if some things aren't as 'fluid' on the iPad3 as they would be on, say, an Air2. I've noticed that the piano roll editor gets sluggish if free RAM gets low, for example. That's where working smart and managing resources is more important than with Auria v1.155.

If, on the other hand, you have limited patience and/or would not regard $39.99 as an investment for the future, if you were unable to realise all of Pro's capabilities right now, then don't upgrade until you've got a faster iPad.

I don't, for one moment, regret upgrading but I'm also not quick to moan if things don't live up to all my 'hopes'. What's more, I don't rely on Auria for my livelihood, reputation or image :lol:

What are your "MIDI purposes"?

jazztastic

Post by jazztastic » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:09 pm

That's encouraging anyway...

I will probably use it to run midi Drums...Bass...maybe a Synth to create a backing track for live guitar.
Nothing to fancy.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:51 pm

Well, I guess it comes down to how soon you'll be able to upgrade to a current iPad.

Auria Pro comes with a demo track containing 23 audio tracks and 6 MIDI tracks (i.e. 5 Lyra sample instruments and 1 Twin2 synth). In order to play it, without CPU overload, I have to freeze one of the MIDI tracks - not the Twin2, funnily enough, but one of the Lyra synth instruments (but I reckon that's because it has a stereo delay insert FX on it).