MIDI ?’s: Are these features currently available?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

dj8

MIDI ?’s: Are these features currently available?

Post by dj8 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:01 pm

After reading the most recent posts on the forum, it looks like it's not possible to play Lyra's onscreen keyboard and get the sounds from 3rd party apps (like, Sampletank or other apps that are midi in only.)

This is done solidly w/ Cubasis, and from what I remember BeatMaker 2 and even Garageband. If it's not currently available, please add this feature very soon. It seems a matter of allowing Lyra to have option to send MIDI at anytime with no instrument selected? I don't know the technical aspects of it, but I've used this feature often w other apps. Makes no sense to me that this isn't available in such a powerhouse as Auria Pro.

Which brings me to my 2nd point/? to bring up... It seems the only way I can record midi and audio performance simultaneously with 3rd party app in Auria is to solo the sound for the track recording the IAA app. Is that right. And I end up hearing the Lyra instrument, but recording the IAA sound. This is far from ideal. It seems like the MIDI implementation needs help in these areas. Or again, someone please let me know the routing/setup if I'm not setting this up correctly.

One more ?: I'm trying to run FunkDrummer. If I don't mute all other parts, I'm getting a recording of the Master out w all parts. Will someone please directions on how to map this correctly so that only the IAA app (in this case FunkDrummer) is recorded. Is it again not possible to record this with all other tracks playing aloud?

I want to use Auria Pro and all of it's grea MIDI features (especially time sigs, tempo tracks), plus all the audio upgrades (warping and transient markers on my iPad!). But, since buying it days ago, I've been running in circles w the above issues and going back to Cubasis to get stuff written... Please help :-)

BTW, I did read the manual, the forum, and the Audiobus Forum before posting this.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: MIDI ?’s: Are these features currently available?

Post by Rim » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:38 pm

Currently, Auria Pro doesn't have a global MIDI keyboard, but it's something high on my list to write. I simply didn't have enough time to fit it in before release (Lyra was only finalized days before release ;) After all the crucial bugs have been fixed, it's one of the features I'm going to add.

If you want to record the audio from an IAA, there's no need to involve Lyra. Simply set the instrument selector menu to your favorite IAA, then solo that track, and on another empty stereo track, press record enable, and set its record input to Master. This will record the audio from the IAA MIDI track onto this new stereo track.

I haven't used FunkDrummer. Perhaps another user can help?

Rim

dj8

Post by dj8 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:16 pm

Rim,

Thanks again for the incredible app and for your response!

In Cubasis, there is no need to solo the track. When the IAA app is added into Cubasis, it records as a separate input, pre-master, and can be listened to with all other tracks audible during recording, without the need to solo the track. The end result is that the recorded track for the IAA input only records the IAA instrument, even though it wasn’t soloed.

This is very much needed in Auria Pro. I was trying to state this in the previous post, but don’t think it was clear. I hope you can add this feature soon or a substitute routing that allows for basically the same result. I think all the other top IOS DAWS can do this now. I know that’s the case for Cubasis and Beatmaker 2.

All of this works, too, when set up as stated above with AudioBus and a global midi keyboard running from the IOS DAW.

Very great news re: the upcoming global MIDI keyboard! Thanks!!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:27 am

@dj8, the way this will be accomplished in Auria is when I introduce recording from a bus. You'll be able to route a MIDI track's output to a bus, then record that bus on a separate track. This is a feature high on my list after all the crucial fix releases are finished.

Rim

dj8

Post by dj8 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:07 pm

Thanks, @Rim! Very much looking forward to the addition of these features!!!