Using limiter to cope with presenter's bad cough.

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

OldBoy

Using limiter to cope with presenter's bad cough.

Post by OldBoy » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:47 pm

Hi,

Excuse me if this has been asked before (I did search... :-) ) but I have an urgent recording to make in a few days and I haven't finished reading the users guide. I would really value some 1,2,3 help here guys getting some basic setting using Auria's limiter options - and maybe compression too.

BACKGROUND
I am going to record a gathering of about 40 people and the speaker on a rostrum/or lapel mic. There is an existing setup where all the mics are in place and feed through to an mixer - which is already setup, tried and tested - and where I have actually had time to get the hang of it.
The good news is that I can get a clean feed on two channels out of the mixer and into the iPad with hardly any issues.
Then it's essentially a matter of pressing record and let it run for two hours - primarily just looking after the speaker's levels. Afterwards the wav file will be exported to a PC or Mac via iTunes where editing or extra music etc can be added.

PROBLEMS
It is apparent that one or more of the speakers have a random bad cough that spontaneously happens. I can watch the reds all light up as they give a +5db or more, instantaneously, straight down into the mic. And that's not something I can change.

So, this is the issue. This I would like the limiter to handle it, and I regret I have not had time to read how to set it up in Auria. :?:

More than that actually... I would value dealing with the presenter's wide dynamic range of voice and projection. :?:

Unfortunately I cannot get a solo feed from the mic into Auria and I have to be content with using the mixer to pan the mic to the two output channels (which go to the iPad). I suppose it would be easy to set the mixer to pan the presenter hard left, with everything else centre ore right... :?:

AURIA
I have made 3 dummy runs using Auria, and think I have decided to record at 44kps (keeping the chances of success high, rather than push 48 or 96k and have Auria fall over after an hour or two. :?:
I also plan to record Auria just using two channels. I do not know enough whether to record 4 track but only use 2 tracks, in order to allow other things to be added later. :?:

That's about it.

Could someone recommend a limiter / and or compressor settings for my session using Auria? :?: :?: :?:

I would really value your help. :?

King
Expert

Re: Using limiter to cope with presenter's bad cough.

Post by King » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:12 pm

Hey @OldBoy,

Everyone does their thing a little ways different.
If I were recording something so dynamic, I would set the highest peaks to just below red. In this digital age you can get away with a lot of things, eg turning up without getting a lot of floor noise.

I would leave the (heavy) comp and lim for later, as these can take away the dynamics of a vocal, singing or speaking (in an unwanted way). Doing this later you would have a lot more control.

If you look at it this way, turning up the volume now or later is going to be the same volume turned up.

This is just my way.
Can't give any presets suggestions, I would adjust on the fly..
Your panning idea is good also!

If you were broadcasting live, then the answer would have to be something else. But you will be able to sort out what you need to in your editing.

I was taught, where possible, record things without EQ i.e flat, and without effect i.e dry. All can be done/added later..

Others may suggest other things to help you! :-)
Last edited by King on Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_____________________________1 Luv_____________________________

_____________________________King____________________________

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:30 pm

I had to do this a long time ago on Soundforge. The cough was so short that I was able to just select the area and delete. The small amount deleted was not noticeable.
Longer coughs, sneezes etc can be dealt with in a different way. maybe copy the cough to an adjacent track and flip the phase. Won't be perfect but will reduce the perceived volume of the noise.

Instead of deleting the cough you could automate the volume to dip at those points.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

King
Expert

Post by King » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:43 pm

More good suggestions above! ^

You could also try and get word to the speaker/s, about the issue ,and get them to be aware of it.
Don't know what the situation is but I would do that. (If possible)

OldBoy

Post by OldBoy » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:07 pm

King wrote:Hey @OldBoy,

Everyone does their thing a little ways different.
If I were recording something so dynamic, I would set the highest peaks to just below red. In this digital age you can get away with a lot of things, eg turning up without getting a lot of floor noise.

I would leave the (heavy) comp and lim for later, as these can take away the dynamics of a vocal, singing or speaking (in an unwanted way). Doing this later you would have a lot more control.

If you look at it this way, turning up the volume now or later is going to be the same volume turned up.

This is just my way.
Can't give any presets suggestions, I would adjust on the fly..
Your panning idea is good also!

If you were broadcasting live, then the answer would have to be something else. But you will be able to sort out what you need to in your editing.

I was taught, where possible, record things without EQ i.e flat, and without effect i.e dry. All can be done/added later..

Others may suggest other things to help you! :-)
Thank you King. I especially like the idea of leaving it for later.

If there is enough time I would like to have a hard limit turned on if I can - but maybe I am just panicking unnecessary with 3 days to go.. :-)

Thanks again though

Appreciated!

OldBoy

Post by OldBoy » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:09 pm

King wrote:More good suggestions above! ^

You could also try and get word to the speaker/s, about the issue ,and get them to be aware of it.
Don't know what the situation is but I would do that. (If possible)
:-)

Hmmm... maybe... he looks 8 foot 6 and made of steel with a scar running down the face...

..no just kiddin'

Thanks

OldBoy

Post by OldBoy » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:15 pm

martygras wrote:I had to do this a long time ago on Soundforge. ...... maybe copy the cough to an adjacent track and flip the phase. Won't be perfect but will reduce the perceived volume of the noise.

Instead of deleting the cough you could automate the volume to dip at those points.

Thanks Martygras

I hadn't thought of that.. and it has the advantage of doing it later... when I have time to learn and ask how to do it.:wink:

In the meantime, and in readiness to achieve that copying and flipping the phase later on , do I setup Auria in advance for 4 tracks, even though I am just recording onto two tracks at the time of the recording?

King
Expert

Post by King » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:46 pm

OldBoy wrote:
In the meantime, and in readiness to achieve that copying and flipping the phase later on , do I setup Auria in advance for 4 tracks, even though I am just recording onto two tracks at the time of the recording?

No need to have the 4 tracks, but also no issue if you do, you can add them (Later) :)

In Auria you can add or delete your tracks whenever you please. No matter when (in time) your projects will remember where they left off. :-)

8ft 6".. Look down at him and say...

OldBoy

Post by OldBoy » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:16 pm

King wrote:
OldBoy wrote:

No need to have the 4 tracks, but also no issue if you do, you can add them (Later) :)

In Auria you can add or delete your tracks whenever you please. No matter when (in time) your projects will remember where they left off. :-)

8ft 6".. Look down at him and say...
:D

Thanks again. Really useful. :idea:

Time for me to have some shuteye time now in the UK...