IAA Problem

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Mucci

IAA Problem

Post by Mucci » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:55 pm

Hello everyone
I know there are lots of bugs and problems going on with ios8 but maybe there's a workaround for this problem I have... In any Auria project, in the plugin section I try to use amp simulation apps such as Bias, JamUp or Tonestack. It's ok to monitor the input as plugin. But when it comes to recording I get a freezing sound, well, a horrible noise actually. Am I missing a basic setting or this is a problem for everyone. I'm on latest software as of now (Auria 1.154, ios8.1, iPad Air 2 wifi 64 and Apogee One.)
Many thanks.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: IAA Problem

Post by Rim » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:03 pm

Auria typically uses a different buffer size for playback and for recording. The playback size is 4096, and the record size is adjustable in the settings. Auria does this because having a higher buffer size makes CPU usage much lower, and when recording, you want a low buffer size to avoid latency (delay). This works well if you're only using Auria by itself, but when using it with IAAs and other apps, sometimes there can be issues. Some IAAs don't like it when an app changes the buffer size. To fix this, you can go into Auria's settings and enable Audiobus mode. This mode keeps the buffer size the same, regardless of recording or playback (at 512). There may be a higher CPU usage when doing this, but it makes Auria more compatible with apps that are sensitive to buffer size changes.

Rim

Mucci

Post by Mucci » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:23 pm

Well that did work. Strange though, actually Audiobus mode was already enabled. But I turned it off and on and the problem disappeared. Maybe its because I just moved to a new iPad and installed everything from scratch and projects were then reimported.
BTW, Rim, besides your fast and helping reply,I must thank you for all your efforts. I think Auria is far by the best ios music app. Right now it's the sole reason I'm keeping an ipad.
Cheers.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:20 pm

Glad that fixed it. It's important to close all apps including Auria after switching to Audiobus mode, in case Auria and other apps are still using a larger buffer.

Rim

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:19 pm

Oh, I did not know that last part about rebooting Auria after switching to Audiobus mode. Good to know.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)