Is the reverb/pan thing a bug?

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

C_corie

Is the reverb/pan thing a bug?

Post by C_corie » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:06 am

http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=12165

Or is that natural for convolution reverb? When I pan a track hard right or left the stereo reverb becomes mono...any ideas?

C_corie

Re: Is the reverb/pan thing a bug?

Post by C_corie » Thu May 08, 2014 9:10 am

This happens with regular reverb too. ANY IDEAS? This is a serious drawback unless I'm missing something......

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu May 08, 2014 10:00 am

It's just the way stereo effects work in a DAW. If you're looking to get stereo reverb from a mono source, use the "Mono to Stereo" version of the reverb instead of the "Stereo" version.

Note: the mono to stereo option version of the plugin only appears on mono tracks, so if your track is stereo, you'll need to copy the regions onto a mono track first.

Rim

C_corie

Post by C_corie » Thu May 08, 2014 11:38 am

And you can only make MONO tracks after you've already created and chosen a project with a set number of stereo tracks right? And you always have the same amount of Aux/Buss tracks/sends?

I tried moving a guitar track to a newly created MONO track... saw the mono/stereo option. Didn't make a difference. With the track panned all the way to the left the reverb followed it all the way.

Think of Whole Lotta Love, the amp is pretty much panned all left, but the reverb is everywhere. How can this be achieved?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu May 08, 2014 1:31 pm

Sorry, my mistake. This wouldn't do what you're after. Here's how to do it:

1. On your guitar track set the Subgroup selector to "1"
2. On Sub1, add the reverb as an effect (I used ClassicVerb for this example)
3. Press Play
4. Move the pan knob on the guitar track

If you move the pan knob all the way to the right, you'll only get the direct guitar on the right side, but you'll hear reverb on both sides.

Is this what you're after?

Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Thu May 08, 2014 1:41 pm

Also remember that, back in the 60s, The Beatles wouldn't have been using insert effects. They'd have used a plate or chamber reverb on an aux send.

C_corie

Post by C_corie » Thu May 15, 2014 11:54 am

I'll try it later but think "Whole Lotta Love" where it's guitar panned hard and reverb kind of everywhere.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu May 15, 2014 12:21 pm

Yes, what I suggested will achieve this exact effect. Reverb in both channels, but dry signal only in one channel.

Rim