Issues exporting AAF to Logic and Sonar

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

tonewheeltom

Issues exporting AAF to Logic and Sonar

Post by tonewheeltom » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:21 pm

Newbie here, and two people are telling me the AAF files I'm exporting to them via Dropbox are not working. They are both used to people sending them WAV or AIFF files and were unfamiliar with AAF. I've sent both "normal" and "split stereo" to each to try.

The Logic 9 user got a Hammond/Leslie overdub I did to his AIFF. His stereo mix was track 1, my organ tracks 2-4. Worked fine. Then I did another 3 tracks (5-7) and he says things didn't sound like they were in the right place.

I sent the Sonar Producer user a 2 track demo for a test and he said he was unable to use the AAF file but has able to check out the WAV snippets.

These guys are long distance, and my lack of a DAW on a Mac or PC, and their lack of AAF experience, is making this hard to solve. Any advice? These guys just want me to send unbroken WAVs...

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Issues exporting AAF to Logic and Sonar

Post by Rim » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:26 pm

AAF can definitely be a challenge, as it's not a very solid standard (every DAW reads/writes AAF slightly differently). We've done a lot of tests with Auria's AAF export and found that Auria works well with most DAWs, but it's still possible to have issues with some DAWs. Usually it's a matter of not being able to import at all, and not a timing issue, so I'm not sure what's going on in the first case.

Rim

tonewheeltom

Post by tonewheeltom » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:30 pm

Is there a way then to send them the tracks as unbroken WAV, i.e. my new tracks 5-7 individually? Thanks.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:03 am

Yes, there's an option in the Mixdown box called Stems. It's in the drop down box along with WAV, AIF, etc. If you choose this format, Auria will produce unbroken WAV files for all your tracks, and put them into a unique folder.

Rim

tonewheeltom

Post by tonewheeltom » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:18 pm

Rim wrote:Yes, there's an option in the Mixdown box called Stems. It's in the drop down box along with WAV, AIF, etc. If you choose this format, Auria will produce unbroken WAV files for all your tracks, and put them into a unique folder.

Rim
Thanks, I'll try it.

tonewheeltom

Post by tonewheeltom » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:27 pm

Rim wrote:Yes, there's an option in the Mixdown box called Stems. It's in the drop down box along with WAV, AIF, etc. If you choose this format, Auria will produce unbroken WAV files for all your tracks, and put them into a unique folder.

Rim
Where might I find that "unique folder"?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:38 am

It creates a folder with the name you put into the name box, and saves it in Auria's main (Documents) folder. When you open iFunBox (or iTunes), you'll see it right away.

Rim

tonewheeltom

Post by tonewheeltom » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:12 am

Rim wrote:It creates a folder with the name you put into the name box, and saves it in Auria's main (Documents) folder. When you open iFunBox (or iTunes), you'll see it right away.

Rim
Ah, so the stems folder is created, but only visible when connecting to iTunes. I was looking to see if I could upload the stems folder to Dropbox, but hadn't looked at it with iTunes file sharing. Thanks.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:00 am

No, stems are not supported by dropbox.

Rim