iOS 7 and memory

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

supanorton
Expert

iOS 7 and memory

Post by supanorton » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:27 am

Hi folks. I have an iPad 2 and haven't installed iOS 7. I've read in a few places now that there is less available memory when running Auria on iOS 7. I've also read that, once iOS 7 is installed, there is no going back to an earlier iOS. Memory is at a premium already and, with no turning back, I'm more than hesitant to test iOS 7. I'm about a year away from getting a new iPad, so that's out for now. Can anyone comment on changes in available memory using Auria on an iPad 2 (64) with iOS 7? Thank you.

ChrisG
Expert

Re: iOS 7 and memory

Post by ChrisG » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:32 am

On iPad 2 I have much much less free ram after a reboot. But, it does seem that it actually is just iOS 7 handling ram differently compared to earlier versions. In Auria it might show something like 20 mb ram left on some random project, and *poff* iOS 7 suddenly kills ~30 unneeded background processes and that number will jump to 200+ mb free ram, which is about what iOS 6 would have (or just close Auria/App making it look like a crash). I see the same behavior using those RAM tools available on the AppStore, I got around 170 mb free ram after a clean reboot, and using a clean-up ram app will kill of ~processes and free up a lot of ram, up to around 260mb sometimes. But it seems iOS 7 handles all this way better then earlier versions and will kill of unneeded background stuff faster, instead of crashing apps all the time.

Hope that makes some sense, my English is a bit off today :lol: Maybe someone with more insight into iOS 7 can explain it better (and correct me if I'm wrong)

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:19 pm

Chris, are you saying that English is not you're native language? If so then wow. I never would have known.

I'll have to read up on these ram scrubber apps and how the OS cleans up at seemingly random times.
I hope that Rim's technique for live rebooting does the same thing, as long as all apps are closed prior to the procedure.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

ChrisG
Expert

Post by ChrisG » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:43 pm

Yea no I'm from Sweden. I just read what I wrote earlier and it really turned into a mess lol...Anyway, point being, even tho your device appears to have less ram available, iOS 7 will make more ram available in a more reliable way then iOS 6. Atleast that's my experience so far. I'm not saying things will not crash, but it certainly doesn't seem like 512mb devices need to worry about the ram on iOS 7 as far as I can tell. Besides, even if it did use a small chunk of more ram, I'd take that hit since there are so many new benefits and possibilities with the new IAA system and core audio upgrades.

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:52 pm

Thank you, Chris. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.